Induction vs Going into labor naturally

Ive heard that induced labors hurt more than labors that come on naturally. Has anyone else heard this or has anyone had one of each and have an opinion? I also heard inductions lead to a higher c-section rate..

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 2:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i havent had boht but i was told the same with the higher c-section rate and i was induced and after 17 hrs of labor i had an emergency c-section, dont know if that helps just figurd id share it with ya.
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 2:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have not had either. I am only a SM. But i've been doing a lot of research on natural birth bc i'm TTC my first.
    Induction does lead to a much higher risk of c-section. But i think that as far as pain goes, ...each woman is different and each pregnancy is different. Sorry if i'm not much help.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think it's better to let it come on naturally. I think labor moves quicker.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have had both and the induced labor was more intense and quicker. Natural is better imo...but whatever you need to do to have a healthy baby!
    lovnmy3boys

Answer by lovnmy3boys at 2:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• my first was an induction, and it hurt way more and it also lasted alot longer. The induction i was in labor like 36 hours i think, and the natural birth it was only 4 hours, and noo pain meds. Induction I needed the epidural, and some IV drugs before that.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes, the labor does hurt more and it does lead to a high c-section rate. If your doctor is talking about inducing you, I wouldn't let them. Especially before 42 weeks. I was induced and will never be induced again.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• When i was pregnant i didnt feel any contractions and i was in preterm labor they said how can i not feel it i never felt contractions even when i was in labor they said i was one lucky girl lol.. but no when they induce you it doesnt hurt one bit well not me that is.. but its diffrent for everyone so i dont know..
    proud_mum_mum

Answer by proud_mum_mum at 3:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have 2 children.. One was induced and one was natural. BOTH of my deliveries were 100% pain med free.. With that being said, my induced child was 8lbs 11oz and hurt LESS than my natural 5lb 10oz baby. It depends on a LOT of things, such as the length of labor, the position of the baby, etc. Even though my induction hurt less, my Mom had both also and she said that I (I was her induced baby) hurt FAR MORE than my brother and sister who were both natural. I know it doesn't help you much- except to tell you that it depends on the person!
    mom2eliandjayde

Answer by mom2eliandjayde at 3:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• being induced dosent hurt any more or less. It just depends on the person and how far along they are.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 4:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Inductions can hurt worse, and here's why: Pitocin is one of the most common labor augmenting drugs. Pitocin is synthetic oxytocin, the hormone that our body naturally produces when we are in labor. Unlike natural contractions, when our body is FORCED into labor, especially when we are not ready, the contractions come on stronger and more intense which can easily put the baby in distress. (the longer the contraction, the longer the baby goes with out oxygen, etc). Cervadil may be less intense then pitocin, but same concept. You are forcing your body into labor. Cytotec is just as bad, but even more dangerous. (causing death, uterine rupture, severe hemorrhaging).

Over half of all inductions fail, which means you have over a 50 percent chance of needing a c/s. In almost all cases of c/s after an induction, it is the fault of being induced and not a real medical reason.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2009