Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if some men charged u a thousand dollars to put yoiu a driveway but then they made a mess and broke your fence and tore off yoiur phone and internet cable wire would yiou subtract it from there labor?

because the telephone company charged me 100 dollars just to fix what they messed up and now there mad because they dont want me subtracting those 100 off there labor, but its not fair for me to pay for something they did, also they sent my hubby 5 times to go get them food and drinks from the store and thats gas money too.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • so I was thinking of taking off 100 of there labor and giving them a tv and stereo and 900 instead of the thousand.what do u think? is it fair?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • 200 subtracted for labor if you can prove the gas and food money spent... You covering their mistakes is not in the contract don't do it.. and don't put up with it

    Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Oh hell yes i would subtract all the damages from their pay. Keep a record of all of it too, and take pictures of what was damaged in case they try to sue you or something for not paying the full bill. Sounds like a very unprofessional and shady contractor if they didn't offer to pay the damages theirself anyway. So i wouldn't put it past them at this point to try to sue you for the unpaid portion of the bill. Keep good records! (or maybe i watch too much judge judy LOL)

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • First of all, are they bonded and insured? Did they provide proof and did you check into them?
    If so, then they must file a claim with their insurance company to pay for the damages and for the shoddy work done.
    If not, then you should take photos right away of each step of their progress as proof, because if they fight you on having money withheld then you will have to take them to small claims court. You cannot just take a portion of money out of their fee without proof of what the damage costs, but if you and they come to an agreement, then that is fine. The photos are proof for you to take to court, if need be.
    We only contract with bonded and insured businesses, and it helps if they are also licensed, a member of an association within their profession, and listed with the BBB. We look into all these things and we do check their references.
    Best wishes to you!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Yes you can, just show the receipts and bring it to their attention right away and not after the fact.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • For starters, if they only charged you $1000 to tear out & replace a cement driveway, you got a huge deal - that's an expensive job that would cost us $6000. But honestly, I can't understand a whole lot of your post, what with spelling & grammar mistakes, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Sounds like you picked a really bad company to do business with. I would pay them what you owe, and bill them for the damages, or take them to court. I would have also refused to go to the store for them. Any professional would not have asked this of you.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • First of all you need to take pictures and talk to the owner.Tell them to fix it themselves they broke it not you.One thousand dollars ,Yes is a great deal but they are doing a horrible.Six thousand dollars is a little to much for a driveway to get paved whoever charged the other woman six thousand did not do her homework.I am very good at selling and haggling .I would never pay that much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Realize that if you don't pay them what was agreed to, they can put a lein on your home. I'm not saying that you don't have a reason to not pay them, but you will need to have it documented. You need to talk to the owner about the things that got messed up and you need to get it in writing that they agree to take off for the repairs. If not, they have a contract that you signed that you will pay them $1000 and a check for $900. Then they can put a lein on your house.

    Answer by slw123 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.