newborns belly seems to be hurting her.. INPUT PLEASE!!

My daughter is 5 weeks and her belly seems to be hurting her since yesterday. She spit up yesterday 4 times throughout the day. it didnt just spit out, it FOUNTAINED out. she is only breastfed. but last night and today she seems to be just hurting in her belly, she just lays there and doesnt seem like she has much energy. she cries even when she isnt hungry or need changed (she doesnt normally cry unless she needs something) and the cry she makes today and yesterday has been a painful sounding cry. she doesnt have a high temp, its normal...
its really sad :( im a new mom and need some advice as to what to do to relieve her pain.
oh i also wanted to add that her dr knows of her spitting up she went to the dr on monday but yesterday she spiut up more than what i had told the dr on monday. and she said it doesnt sound bad but now she seems to be hurting and her temp is 99 degrees.

like right now she is smiling and happy and movi

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• and moving around but it will go back and forth throughout the day
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Maybe you are eating something that doesn't agree with her. Common culprets: coffee, dairy, spicey, smoking, chocolate, etc. Have you noticed this happening on a regular basis? Is is random? Try keeping a journal of what you ate and when she vomits. It could be G.E.R.D. (google search). BIG HUGS!!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If it keeps happening, I would ask the dr to check for acid reflux, babies can have that, too - my niece did. Also, have you tried burping her? She might have a lot of gas in her tummy, and that can be causing her pain.

Something else to consider, what have you eaten lately? If you've eaten onions, or really spicy food or other things like that, it can affect your milk sometimes and sometimes, newborns can be sensitive to that. You might need to watch what you eat for a few weeks or so and see if that helps. (I nursed, too, so this isn't a back handed slam on nursing, just a lot of times, new nursing moms don't think of this :-) )

You can try laying her on her back across your lap, feet to one side, head to the other, and gently rub her tummy in clockwise circles. If there is a gassy buildup, this could help, too.

cont

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Just hang in there though, and keep loving and comforting her. Also, keep watching the fever, and since she's spitting up so much, keep watching that she's wetting her diapers. If she isn't wetting herself, then that could be a sign that she's getting dehydrated. Here's a link that gives a good guideline for how many wet diapers she should be having on average. It also talks about pooping, but as it notes in the bottom (and was my experience with both my kids) if you nurse, it's not uncommon for them to NOT poop that much, because their bodies so efficiently process the milk there isn't as lot left to come out.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• sorry - it's late - here's the link

http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/how-many-wet-diapers-in-a-day-are-normal-for-your-baby/
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• could be reflux. My youngest had it from birth. Does she arch her back like she's in serious pain?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• she may have had gas in her belly or she didnt burp enough, our kids dont come with instructions which I wish they did sometimes LOL LOL, no seriously tho she may have had some type of bug that was a 24 hour thing, BUT if her temp goes up then I would get her to the doc or the E.R, its better to be safe then sorry,, oh yeah, has she had good bowel movements,no constipation??? Im just trying to cover all angles for you,my son is 7.5 now and he had bowel problems till he was about 6.As a new mommie I would suggest to give her some water too,NOTHING ADDED, just trying to help,,,
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• could be acid reflux, could be gas.. or it could just be the baby is getting a little older and fussier. i thought my baby was an angel for about a month til she figured that mommy comes running every time she cries. but my youngest was exactly that way. its sad to see them shoot so much fluid out of their tiny mouths & just cry their heads off. i kept taking my dd to her doc but they never helped. i just had to keep burping her. keep her head elevated to make sure she can breath, and my mom said to rub chamomille oil on their tummies (she said they used to do that in her day. dont know if it helped) anyway, just lots of burping and keeping her upright. and keep in close contact with the doctor. ask the doc if you can give her pedialyte. thats what they kept giving my daughter when she kept spitting up like that. hope she feels better! good luck! and take her back if her temp rises for some peace of mind.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:39 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• Try this Mum lay the baby across your knees and rub her back in a circular motion if she squirms or cries then she is really gassy. They will act the way you mentioned when gassy. If she is squirm or moves around like it hurts her, swaddle her up in a receiving blanket with her knees tucked up real high and hold her for awhile or rocking is very good too. The fever I don't like the sound of that she is too young to be getting a fever, of course it isn't really a fever at 99 she might just be overly warm from clothes remember dress your LO as you would dress. There are so many things that go on with babies they are strange that way. If you become overly concerned take her to the DR. All will be well Mum Hang in there.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 7:46 AM on May. 8, 2009