How do I "round" out my 4 month old's head?

My son sleeps on his back all night, when I lay him on either side to sleep he just flips right back onto his backside. this is causing a pancake head. I'm stumped on what to do.

LoniRae89

Asked by LoniRae89 at 4:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may have to wait this out. When they start rolling around is when the head evens out. I know that it looks funny. My DD had a "pancake head" until she was almost 6 months. She started rolling right at 5 months. It will get better. Babies are supposed to look like this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If he's not rolling in his sleep, you could try a sleep positioner to keep him on his side. You'll have to alternate sides to prevent the sides of his head from flattening, though.

I think that's about the only thing I've heard of. I know if it's bad enough, some babies have to wear helmets.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• or you can buy these special pillows that support the babies head and allow the skull to form evenly and round.... they are called the 'love nest pillow' have a look on google or yahoo
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 6:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i put baby hats on my lil one.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 3:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• A lot tummy times throughout the day and minimize the time your child is in a bouncer/swing/carseat. Maybe buy one of those bumboo things so he can sit upright. It is not only what is done at nighttime that needs to be taken to consideration, but what is done to help during the daytime. Sleep positioners might be a good idea, but since he's able to roll, I'd be iffy. My son rolled in his sleep positioner and slid down so his nose was pressed into the cushions. Thank god it was naptime and he was sleeping in the living room where I was able to react and banish the sleep positioner forever. If it's very bothersome, talk to your pediatrican. A helmet might help.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 6:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2009