I'm trying to get my breast use to not pumping 10pm to 6am. How long does this take? I have plenty of milk saved and I need the sleep. That way I only have to get up and feed Kyle and then go right back to sleep. I'm going back to work in 2wks.

I only pump. I stopped nursing about 4wks ago.

Lenore0708

Asked by Lenore0708 at 4:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped exclusively. When my LO started sleeping through the night so did I. I just stopped the night time pumpings as long as she slept. When she slept 6 hours I went six hours. when she slept 12 I went 8. I couldn't go 12 hours w/o pumping. It will take your boobs a few days to get used to the new schedule. If you LO hits a growth spurt you will want to increase the number of pumps you do in a day and it will take a few days to see results. I wish you luck b/c it isn't easy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• From my experience with pumping, I had to pump regularly in order to keep my milk supply up. if I went 8 hours without pumping i wouldnt produce that many feedings worth of milk. I eventually had to give up on it all together. I thought I had enough saved up, but they go through it quickly, and you always want to be sure to keep extra. But I would check with a lactation specialist in your area to be sure whats right for you.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 4:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You will need to pump as much as he needs to eat. If he eats four 8oz then pump that much! If you want to slow it down...try cutting it in half. Your stock will run out eventually....rememeber he might get sick and need more or he might hit a growing spurt. I would try to pump as much as your work will let you fit in! Gradually is the key...if you go from pumping every two hours to pumping every eight your breast will get engorged and hurt like crazy. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2009