Can I feed my newborn too often?

Sometimes my week old gets really fussy and the only thing that will calm her is breastfeeding even though she ate only like an hour before. Is it bad to feed her that often?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 7:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's fine. Babies are designed to be nursed on demand. Breastmilk is digested quickly so they eat frequently in the beginning. It's also how they help build your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Always feed an infant on demand, no matter how they are fed.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I feed my son when every he want to eat. lol he has a big belly right now omg. he's a fat man. I dont do a time schedule because if he's hungry he's hungry.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Feed her when she is hungry, it is how your amount of breast milk adjusts to what is needed.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Sometimes breastfed babies eat ALL of the time. But it's how they increase your supply. And sometimes they cluster feed too... eating every 30 mins to an hour for a few hours.
    If it seems like your baby just wants to suck you could try offering your clean finger and see if it does the trick, if not, just breastfeed again.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You cannot feed your newborn too often when you are breastfeeding! Especially in these early weeks they have really small tummies, and often fall asleep before getting a full feeding. They need to nurse a lot! Often a couple times in an hour. Keep feeding on demand.

You can read more at "How often should I nurse my baby?" http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2009