Does sucking on hands always mean hungry?

My newborn sucks on her hands all the time. Does this always mean she's hungry or is she sometimes just doing it to calm herself?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 8:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She figured out she could do it, so she does. You will know when she is hungry just by the way she acts or the way she cries.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• She may put her hands in her month when shes teething but hopeful shes not cutting teeth yet. my nephew was cutting teeth at 2 months old. My doctor told me the later the teeth come in the better.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have a child at my day care who is five and still sucks his middle and ring finger all the time. For him it's a nervous condition.
    gckittylove

Answer by gckittylove at 9:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• For a newborn, yes it is most likely an early hunger cue. However, it could also be teething, curiosity, soothing or any number of other things. If she just ate and is sucking her hand, then she probably isn't hungry.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My dd sucked on her hands all the time. It drove me crazy because my In-laws were always like "she's hungry" . . I would say "No, she's not!" I would come downstairs after nursing for a half an hour and just because she put her hands in her mouth, they would assume she was hungry. My dd did it all they time even when she wasn't hungry.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• No it's aslo a comfort thing. Then they do it when they teethe. I hated when people would tell me my son was hungry just cuz his hand was in his mouth. If he were sucking on his hands and fussy, then I would know he was hungry!!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My baby only does it when he is hungry. I usually don't feed him until he does that. Because if he doesn't do that and cries it is usually because something else is upsetting him.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2009