Anyone have experiance with a Chiropractor?

I have chronic headaches stemming from tension in my shoulder and neck muscles. My shoulders and neck hurt all the time they are so tight. I have given up on MD's as they just push meds on me that make me tired and all kinds of other wierd side effects. I recently started seeing a chiropractor a couple weeks ago. She spent more time talking with me and testing on me that anyone ever has. I have extreamly poor range of motion in my neck for my age (29) and my posture is horrible. I have always been a little leary of chiros, but so far it seems to be helping some and she does a lot more than just popping my bones. Has anyone had any succuess with a chiro in dealing with chronic headaches or pain? Did it work for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• Yes! I used to get migraines and paralyzing back pain regularly. I finally saw a chiropractor and it took two weeks for that migraine to go away. He showed me the x-rays; my lumbar vertebrae had rotated 45 degrees and that resulted in the rest of my spine being out of alignment, pinching nerves and causing muscle spasms. My neck, which should have a slight curve, was almost straight! In the three years that I continued to see him, my headaches disappeared, my carpal tunnel symptoms disappeared, my backaches disappeared.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• YES!! I have seen one for a while for various issues. The most recent was a car accident. It wasnt bad but my left shoulder got thrown into the door. The MD just told me it was muscle pain and gave me meds. The meds didnt really help and it was getting worse do I went to my Chiro. He actually did an X-ray and saw where it had messed the structure of my shoulder up. I went to treatment once a week for about 6 months and now my shoulder never bothers me. I'm having tension headaches now, so I have an appt tomorrow and i cant wait. They really do help.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• In 21 years of living with major back pain I have been under the care of more than 20 chiropractors. About 5 yrs ago, I gave up on them and turned to MD's. I am so tired of the pain I am in and it's constant debilitating affects on my life. As of last January, I could no longer walk more than just a few feet. Now, I am under the care of a better team of doctors and a wonderful MD. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I am on meds that although I hate taking them - have given me my life back. I am in very little pain for about 18 hours a day. So, to each their own.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i went to one years ago ( gonna see one in a few weeks ) but i am hevey chested and had back proublm and i worked nights stocking so by 4 am i was in pain and tears, he did tell me its bad posture ontop of being top heavey he cracked and poped me ( loved it ) he also massaged me for a few mins ( my father didnt like hearing that lol ) but i felt like new when i left. and agin will be going to see one in a few weeks looking forward to it..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes, I have pain in my neck and shoulders. I go see him atleast once a year for 1 weeks worth of visits. I was leary of them also at first. But, not after I started going and seeing how much it helps. I even went when I was pregnant because I couldn'tmove my neck!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• my whole family goes and they love it my mother in law goes about every 2 weeks and that helps her when shes at work cuz she work at target i havent went yet but will have too soon
    Steph925

Answer by Steph925 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have worked for 2 chiropractors., Added bounus of employment FREE ADJUSTMENTS.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 10:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I LOVE my chiropractor, and recommend chiro treatment for so much - my kids have had visits too, and it really truly does help. Honestly though, it sounds like you could also benefit from some massage along with the chiro. My chiro does accupressure (like accupuncture but with pressure points instead of needles) too, she's a lot more alternative than other older chiros in the area.
    Anonymous

• OP here- thank for all the info! Anon 12:15 I do get massages once a month also, they are full body. I am a member of a place called Massage Envy and I love it! They focus more on my upper body, neck, shoulders and head and it really helps also. Some of the therapists there do accupressure, I'll have to check that out!
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have, my husband has, and my youngest son. I also do massage for neck/upper back pain. But I have also found I have to exercise regularly. If I don't the pain comes back. But the chiro helped me when I couldn't even raise my arms to put my hair in a pony tail. This is from two different car wrecks--neither my fault:-)
    Anonymous