mac and cheese for toddlers

just curious if most moms make mac and cheese from the box or from scratch? i don't prepare american meals for my toddler since we are asian, so was wondering if mac and cheese from the box was ok to give to a toddler? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son age 3 loves mac and cheese and the 18 month old i babysit for loves it to. for the kids luch its box but when i make it for dinner for the family its homemade. cheesey and yummy lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Lots of moms feed it to their children. The children like it, and it is cheap and easy. I fed my children mainly food that I made from scratch- I cooked the macaroni and made the cheese sauce from milk and cheese. These days I also use whole wheat macaroni and skim milk. Doing it this way is more nutritious and has fewer articial additives such as colors, texture enhancers, preservatives, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son LOVES mac-n-cheese! He's three now, but I'd say he had it for the first time when he was about 8/9 months old. Its' not something he gets often, but if he could eat it every day he probably would. I make the kraft boxed mac n cheese, velveeta, and I make homemade. Unfortunately, my son is can't have either the milk or cheese in homemade mac and cheese, so he's only had the boxed but soy cheese is just not the same in mac and cheese.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My 22 month old loves Mac & Cheese, we use the individual microwaveable cups, this way we dont waste. My husband isnt big on mac and cheese, and whatever he doesnt eat from the cup I eat.
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 10:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I do both. Like Tabbys4, I make boxed M&C for a quick lunch but for dinner we make homemade M&C. I have a couple of homemade receips if you ever want to try it, just message me.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Both my toddlers love mac and cheese. If they had their way they would eat it for every meal. I use the boxes.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Mostly we have boxed mac & cheese because it's easy and quick, especially with multiple kids in the house. But last year I started making it from scratch using pasta (whatever we had on hand), velveeta cheese, onion, milk and smoked sausage. The kids love it. That's usually for a big dinner. Any other time I just make the boxed stuff.

Oh, and my kids have been eating it since they were old enough to feed themselves table foods (like 10 months old). They love mac & cheese.

great, now I'm hungry, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• DD loves mac n cheese but since we don't each much food from a box I tend to stay away from it. I have yet to make it myself, though I intend to soon lol Usually if I do feed DD boxed mac n cheese I buy the organic brands to avoid artificial flavors and preservatives. The organic store brands cost the same as a regular brands, and if I find a sale (can't beat 4 boxes for $5) I'll buy all 4 boxes.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We only feed our 14 month old organic- Annie's organic Mac and Cheese is a huge hit with her! Comes in alot of different flavors and pasta shapes too!
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2009