Volunteer for bingo at a Catholic School

I have no problem doing this. Yesterday was the first time I ever did. I was just bothered a bit. You have the people in charge and other workers there and they are cursing like sailors, more so from the lady in charge. Then another worker came into the office in between selling some pull tickets and mentioned how someone was rude to him and that same lady said"well these people help keep the cost down YOUR kids tuition so suck it up" WHAT?! I was floored. Yes it is true what she said but that doesn't give them a right to treat you like crap. I just didn't feel like I was in a Christian environment and it bothered me by the behavior I saw.

Would you say anything or let it go?

How many of you have volunteered at your child's school for bingo? The time that you were there how were you treated by the other workers? How were you treated by the people playing bingo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• first off i am Very catholic and i come from a community that does bingo (being military we dont have it here) i have heard the poor talk and you need to speak with your parrish priest about the situation let him know that what is taking place is not part of Gods plan cursing being rude and treating others with disdain is a sin. approach him with concern and respect. yes that money does go to help people in the church but the language and behavior is not tolerated and lots of time the priest must rely on the volunteers and some dont know how to conduct themselves in a good manor. being on welfare makes you no less of a person and sometimes those people dont know their own religion or they wouldnt behave in such poor manner. again bring it up at a council meeting they need to know these things or talk to a local knight they can help you if your not comfortable with the priest although you should be able to if you have qs askme
    janiere

Answer by janiere at 3:57 AM on Apr. 1, 2009

• That sounds extremely hypocritical of them. I'd be wondering what they were saying in front of the kids while talking to co-workers. Were these people parents or employees? I would probably bring it up to the principal so it could be handled but I'd be nice about it. That stuff shouldn't be going on OR said at ANY school function...catholic or public!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• In the past when my child was in catholic school I had to volunteer 1x a month for Bingo. And, sorry but, the church I had to do this for didn't have people like that. They were very nice and respectful. I think you should say something. Tell them it makes you uncomfortable, and if they need you to volunteer...something needs to be done about the behavior and bad language the others are using!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My mom had a serious bingo habit for a while. One of her friends played 5 times a week, and my mom started tagging along. Whether it was churches or VFW's, the regulars seemed to have the same attitude, either they were nice or nasty, but being in a church didn't make a difference. The ones who swore and screamed at the VFW would still swear and scream at a church.

My uncle has been volunteering at his for over 30 years, and he's had some horror stories. But that's all the players, he's never had a bad thing to say about the other volunteers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm assuming you haven't been around many catholics. LOL. My mothers family is catholic, they are a riot. Try not to let it bother you.
    Rexanna

Answer by Rexanna at 6:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Renee, they were parents and employees. It was like a "click" and Rexanna not in that setting with catholics, lol. I was just stunned. NotPanicking I can't even wonder about the horror stories

I also forgot to mention that this 1 lady there won 1250.00 on one of those pull tickets and they were making fun of her because she had facial hair and said she was probably on welfare.

Anonymous

• I would mention it to the person that the lady you mentioned, who is in charge of bingo, answers to.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 9:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2009