Calling all mommas who have upright washers and dryers...

Do you have any trouble with the washer smelling musty inside? I do and I do not know why. What would be your solution?

haroldswife

Asked by haroldswife at 9:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I don't have that problem, but I always leave the washer open when not in use. Maybe you could google and find out if there's a way to get rid of that musty smell, I'm thinking using something like baking soda or white vinegar?
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I did with my GE washer. I called the company and they "never heard of anything like that." I removed the agitator and bleached it, then I replace the agitator and ran a bleach cycle through the whole tub. It would work for a week and then smell again. I had a plumber come in and he was mystified too and said it must be the vent pipe that went up through the roof and to take a hose and clean that out, but we never did. We do have a septic tank, and I thought that could be the problem, but drains closer to the tank did not smell. And my 2 year old Maytag washer does not smell. But the GE always smelled musty. I'd be interested if you find a permanent solution. All I could figure out was, as I said, to clean the inside of the agitator with bleach and to use bleach in the laundry- just be sure to run full loads of whites or no -color laundry after you do this to make sure the bleach is gone.

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• (I just saw cookiemom's reply) I also kept the washer open when not in use, and it is in a well-ventilated area.
    I did find mildew, by the way, inside the agitator, which is why I recommend checking that.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I also have that same problem and keep mine open between loads. I have thought about running a bleach cycle but never did. thanks for the suggestion.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:59 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm going to try and remember to leave the door open and see if that helps. It is such a horrible smell. Thanks.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 12:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i have to leave my door open after using it...not easy cause the kids close it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You can buy a product that will help. I was paranoid when we got our front loads last Oct. We leave the door open too, and so far so good. I don't know what it is called--but you can try asking for it by describing it. Good luck.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2009