grrrrrr

Okay so here is the deal. my puppy will go 5 hours during the day and not go potty at all. She is 5 months old. She is getting better at not pottying in the house however we kennel her when we are gone and we kennel her at night. At night she will wake up every 2 1/2 hours. I have a radio on for her and always have. I know sometimes she does not have to go potty and I would just let cry however if my husband is not in a deep sleep she will wake him up and keep him up. When he is snoring and i know he is asleep i will let her c ry it out as long as i am sure she does not have to go potty. She will cry on average for 45 minutes. I don't mind this waiting game but i don't understand why she feels the need to get up so often and sometimes i take her outside and she doen't do anything she just wants to play. What am i suppose to do?

ntschetter

Asked by ntschetter at 9:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pets

• It's like a child! Limit the fluids before "bed" so she won't have the urge at night. Put her someplace away from the bedroom if she isn't already so if she does whine, it's not interfering with your sleep. If the kennel is the right size, she most likely will learn to hold it and NOT go in the cage. They don't like to pee or poop where they sleep. Remember they're full of energy...probably another reason she is restless at night. My dogs have gotten used to sleep with a fan on high...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i kennel broke my dog but doing just like you would to a bird. cover the kennel with a blanket when she whines. uncover her when she quits.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 11:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I can offer some tips that might help u, as I know this is frustrating!! Puppies get thirsty throughout the night, try putting a clip-on waterer in the kennel w/it. As for the whining, vets say to try putting an alarm clock in there kennel as it resembles Mom's heartbeat, or warming a favorite stuffed animal a few seconds in the microwave and placing that in there as well for it to cuddle to and understand too, puppies teethe and need their chewies as well...they bore easy too!! Good Luck w/this!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 1:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree. No water for a couple of hours before bed, Take her out just before kenneling her. The blanket over the kennel has always worked for me too. I run the fan in my room so I can't hear the pup. She wakes you up every couple of hours because she knows, "If I scream long enough, Moma will come play." LOL Hard situation though with waking Hubby up. Just a baby, it takes some time.
    I'm real big on covering the kennel with the blanket and a small chew toy. Good luck!
    katydid1955

Answer by katydid1955 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Can you move the kennel close to your bed? We would put the kennel close to the bed and when our pups were little and cried my husband would reach over and put his hand on the kennel or pet her through the bars. It seemed to settle her down pretty quickly and she'd go back to sleep. Good luck.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with the other answers. for what its worth! Set a time to put the water up for the night. What I have done for a new puppy is to take a tshirt I had been wearing and put it in his kennel. If you can put the kennel near you it would help too. When I first got Jack he slept with me. I moved him into a kennel so I could get rest. Our other dog has to be in a kennel when unsupervised. Jack loves his kennel and will go in it to just lay down. Having the other dog nearby helps as well. Good luck!
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009