My daughter just turned one. My goal is to have her potty trained by the time she is 2. When should I introduce her to the potty?

Kennedys_mom08

Asked by Kennedys_mom08 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she starts getting interested in the potty. Just remember that you can't force it, and some kids rebel if it is done to early. It will become a power struggle. I would put the potty in the bathroom, but don't let her think that it is a toy. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We alllllllll have that goal but its mostly when the child is ready. Remember always make it fun so itll be something they look forward to. And teach them words associated with going to the potty. They have to know that urge.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Please dont rush it! It will only delay it. When you see signs such as, taking her diaper off when shes peed,hiding when she goes poopie,dry after a nap; these are signs that she MIGHT be ready. I say "might" b/c even though she may show these signs, if her body is not capable of going pee on command-its only practice! and thats ok!! but it should always be fun, never negative, if she doesnt go. You can have a baby doll go potty,or whatever shes into-and then pretend it peed-then throw a lil party for it! She will get inspired for a party of her own! My daughter's 2, and she shows all the signs, but doesnt know how to pee on command. She can poop on it occassionally..but I let her go sit when she wants, i dont say "No,stay on that potty till u pee pee!" When shes ready, she'll go.. She doesnt have to be potty trained for the 2 yr old class!
    MamaCass2003

Answer by MamaCass2003 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You can introduce her now,but, that doesn't mean she will be ready yet. teach her by example too. Take her with you when you go at first. Then get into a routine (when she wakes up, after meals, certain time of day, before bedtime). She will then learn how to go and show you that she is ready. Even if she doesn't go, get her in that routine. She will let you know by telling / showing you her diaper is wet, her clothes come off and she is naked as a jaybird☺. It takes time. Don't stop the diapers at night for a while, thats the last thing to do. Even if she makes a mistake after she is potty trained, its ok.Kids have accidetns on up until they are 7-8 years old.Hope this isn't to much info.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I started with my daughter when she was about 18 months old and she was 2 years and 4 months when she finally decided she was going to go. You really can't "make" them potty train. You'll frustrate yourself trying. I remember getting so frustrated because I would sit in the bathroom with her for half an hour trying to entertain her while she was on the potty and she wouldn't go...2 minutes after we got off the potty "I'm wet mommy". Egh. Then one day she said "I've got to go potty" she took off her diaper, went, and has never had an accident since, not even overnight. I think it just had to be her idea...lol. Good luck mama!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We introduced my son to the potty early on. We bought a potty and put it in the bathroom, everytime me, my husband (even our parents joined in) would go to the bathroom we would annouce Mommy has to go pee-pee in the potty. Ethan would follow us in there, and sit on his potty. One day he came up to me, pulled me into the bathroom and pointed to his potty, I set him down, and he went poo-poo for the first time, a few days after that he went pee-pee. Ethan is only 22 months, and occasionally will take me to the potty, Im not forcing it.
    DandieMandie

Answer by DandieMandie at 10:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You really should be following her lead on this, not setting goals with no information! Honestly, it is not really up to you...it is up to her. It is one of the earliest things that children do that teaches them about control and self-direction, so it would be a mistake to deprive your child of that! If you start early it will just take forever....frequent accidents and lots of anxiety and confusion. If you wait until she is ready, it will be relatively easy. It shouldn't be a lot work for you...and it shouldn't be overly stressful for her. At one, it is hard to know when she will be ready. She should be able to take down her pants, and wipe, and all that....or else how can she be trained?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:54 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with the others. IMO, it's important to follow her lead and when she's ready. I had the same goal for my oldest daughter and it ended up taking a lot longer. She ended up being potty trained a week before she turned 3.
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Achually my oldest DD she will be 4 next month and I introduced her to it at 11 months old then I had her go on it here in there then by 12 months I started potty training her she achually done real good but the problem was her birthday is in April so it was going into the warmer wether once it did that she sisn't want to do it anymore so what I did. I didn't completely stop potty training her I just didn't force her to come in if she didn't want to I said ok. Then by winter she was 18 months so I continued to do it with her, but do it more often she was potty trained fully other than bedtime and naptime by 19 months old. My youngest is almost 15 months old she is fully pee trained has been for about 2 weeks, but she isn't pooping there yet. Now I don't know what summer will bring we have to wait and see lol. If you want anytips or more on how I trained that young pm me.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I had the same goals. Children are smart. My daughter just turned two and she and she doesn't know have controll over her body.My son just turned two and he is starting to know his body but not ready for the potty just yet.I I got a lot of info from the web. There are signs to look for you can find the list on baby center.com. That has been a life saver for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 29, 2009