Ear infection?

My daughter(4 years old) woke up today with ear pain, and her jaw on that side is swollen to at least twice the size. She said she has pain behind her ear. And she's having trouble hearing, we keep having to repeat things to her. I can't find any pictures of swollen jaws during an ear infection so on the chance that it's more than that her and her dad is on the way to the er. Of course it has to happen on a Sunday. I've never had to deal with and ear infection so I don't know what one looks like. Any advise?

candycane337

Asked by candycane337 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• They just got back, the doctor said it is an infected gland(Parotiditis) . She got a script for amoxicillin and we will be going back in a few days.
    candycane337

Answer by candycane337 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• more than likely it is mastoiditis. It is an infection that is worse than an ear infection, but can be treated none the less. I wish her well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• To comfort her u can put warm washcloth on her ear, they should have prescribed something for pain as well...ear infections in infants "no fun", keep tylenol on hand, I feel for her, hope she feels better real soon and u hang in there to Momma...Good Luck!!!
    Becki.Nagy

Answer by Becki.Nagy at 1:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009