Are you ready to take the Surgeon General's Pledge?

Help kids stay active.

Encourage healthy eating habits.

Promote healthy choices.

********************************

Today more than 12,5 million children 17%of children and adolescents ages 2-to19- are overweight.

***********************************

www.surgeongeneral.gov/obesityprevention/pledges/index.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I wish more people raised their children to make HEALTHY choices...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with you grlygrlz.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 10:10 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree grlygrlz2.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My kids sometimes eat too much junk but honestly they are so active that you cannot really tell.They eat better more often then not because I cook for them.We pretty much never eat out esp fast food very very seldom.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• x3
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I did years ago. ;-) My parents raised me right-no sodas, just milk and OJ, no snacks and sugary crap,small portions of low fat meals, and lots of oudoor activity. I raised my kids that way,too. And they got 10 hours of sleep at night. My grandkids are being raised well too. there is not one of us who were or are overweight and so far we are all very healthy.
    I hope everyone will listen to the Surgeon General and read all they can about health matters.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Im just glad to be blessed with a extra fast metabolism, so I can have my McDonalds every now and then. Rofl.

But yeah- I definitely give Zachary healthy foods. Every once and a while he will share some junk food with me, but its not an every day thing. Luckily so far he loves fruits and vegetables.. He cannot get enough of those.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• No, I'm not ready to take the Surgeon General's pledge, this all seems to me to be a waste of the job title and salary that goes along with it. What the hell kind of society do we have, that we have to appoint this high of a position to tell us how to eat? The TV show Biggest Loser is probably more effective in promoting these ideas and they aren't using our tax dollars for pamphlets and mountains of written literature regarding eating right. The government money would be better spent adding a bill to Congress that mandates a luxury tax on food not meeting nutritional requirements. Make some revenue instead of spending our tax dollars on ineffective programs.

Anonymous

• It takes a pledge to do this? Since when is raising kids rocket science? You feed them fruits and veggies, whole grains, and good meat and milk. You don't let them veg on the couch.

If you're smart, you kick them outside to play every day that it's not raining. If you're a brain surgeon, you head out to chase them for at least an hour yourself.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• anonymous:44
    Your answer doesn't make any sense. Did you even go to the web-site. Nobody is waisting tax payers money.
    And yes lovinangels for some parents it takes just that to take a pledge to our kids.
    Anonymous