Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you.....

move out of State or to a different country, With your SO/Not DH??


Asked by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Relationships

Level 42 (141,136 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • Sorry but that piece of 'paper' can mean a lot when you are fighting for custody or benefits should something happen. Ask all those same sex couples why they are fighting for the right to get married. Do you have a job? Do you have your own insurance? If something disastrous, like an accident, happens to either of you, the other one has no legal right to make decisions about their health care. So, no, I wouldn't go with him and I wouldn't live with him without that 'paper'.

    Answer by tiredgranny521 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • No. I would never move to another country with a man who wasn't my husband.

    Answer by MommyAddie at 10:22 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • yes i would...but thats bc i know that in our hears we are in a committed marriage like relationship, we just never had a wedding yet....but come oct. we'll be official. in fact we were thinking about moving this year but will stay in our apt. for one more year.

    Answer by Shannon85 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • You dont have to have a wedding to have a commited relationship or to love eachother and Iv already moved 1000 miles away from home to be with him so yea id go anywhere he needed to go!!

    Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Yes I would. Our relationship is very much like a marriage, but w/o the "papers". I am going to be moving soon so I can keep our family together. I love him very much and I would move across the world to be with him.

    Answer by coala at 10:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • I wouldn't. I like the security of that "piece of paper."

    Answer by Bmat at 11:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • I'd move out of state mabye...and always keep enough money put aside so I'd always be able to get back home, but not even for my husband would I leave the country. I'd be afraid I'd do the paperwork wrong and end up getting deported lol

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Yes if the relationship was serious and committed enough. Some people have been with an SO longer than others have been married, so I don't think the actual title should make a difference.

    Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • NO

    Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Well, my Liberal sensibilities say yes, but, my head says that depends...are you moving because he is in the military? because of his job? because of a business venture? are you moving to be closer to his family or yours, or away from both? Are moving to be closer to a child of his & you will be a SM? These are just some of the things I would consider. As a woman I think it's important to protect yourself, which IMO shouldn't be an issue if your SO is treating you well. If this move is largely for his benefit & more neutral to yours I would seriously consider getting that piece of paper, because bottom line, if he wants a life with you he will do what he has to in order to keep you with him. JMO, Good luck!


    Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009