How long should charlie horse pain last?

I got a charlie horse two days ago and my calf still friggin hurts! This is definitely the result of a charlie horse, please don't tell me it's a blood clot or something else or that I should go to the doctor. Just wondering for others who have had charlie horses what's the longest the pain can last?

Lovefeeties

Asked by Lovefeeties at 10:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine lasted about a half hour. Try ice, or also try a teaspoon of prepared mustard. If your pain is due to muscle injury because of the cramp, then use heat and gentle stretches after light exercise.

Answer by Bmat at 11:08 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would have pain for days when I was preggo and got them often,the way to stop it while its happening is lay flat on your back and point your feet and toes down ward.
    shervert1

Answer by shervert1 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Mine usually only last for a few minutes. If, in response to the pain, you tightened the muscle (a natural reflex), you *may* have pulled something. Next time you have a charlie horse, try to let the pain be and relax the muscle.

You need to drink more water! Charlie horse's are your body's way of saying that you're not consuming enough liquids.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Man, those things!!! I'd get them and they lasted up to 10 minutes of that cringing pain! I got them every morning when I wake up and stretch... and it was from pointing my toes down... shervert said that's how she stops them, but I always found that lifting my toes toward my chin helps.

And definitely, they are a way to say you're not getting enough fluids, but try consuming more potassium, and try not to drown them out with water. My OB cut me off water last Wednesday, for the next 3 weeks, or however long the duration of my pregnancy ends up being, put me strictly on Gatorade/Powerade, and that has really helped with the cramping, plus has pretty much eliminated the swelling in my legs and feet! No pop, limited milk and juice... he said "Keep on the electrolytes." and it has really helped!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If you realize when you are about to have one, try bending your toes in as much as you can. It will stop it right away. If you're having one use your hand to bend your toes in as much as you can.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009