Has anyone did the cry it out method if so how young did you start?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did this with my son. I'm not exactly sure when I started it. And I guess it depends on the reason you're doing it. If it's getting the child to sleep, or in the middle of the night, or if you just can't take the crying, because that DOES happen. But if I was just over whelmed, I started that at about three months. I was a single, teen mom, with no option but to just do it on my own. But I didn't let him just keep crying till he stopped. I would check on him every five to ten mins or so. And after about twenty mins to half hour I would pick him back up and try to calm him down. And just keep doing it till he stopped. He was a BIG crier at that age. Then with the sleep thing. That didn't start till about seven months or so. Hope this helped. Oh and btw. Don't worry about the anonymous bashers. they arent even worth the read. They could at LEAST be mature enough to state their opinion, and NOT make themselves look AS stupid.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I did a modified method like that, and I started about 6-10 months. 10 with my first and 6 with my 2nd.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:07 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• you arent supposed to do it before 6 months because up until 6 months babies are establishing trust
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We did it first at 6 months and are doing it again at 8 months (he got sick his entire 7th month and it all went down the tubes)
    We did CIO because we have tried everything else, including bringing him to bed with us. And he was getting up every hour at night.
    Now he is getting up once... sometimes twice, but it's better than it was!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I just started doing this to my 9 month old because she started waking up in the night. I do check on her when she cries though. I tuck her back in and sometimes she cries for 5-10 minutes then falls right back to sleep.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I started at 12 months-I know some say that that is a little late-but I was so glad that I did. It only took a night or two and he didn't give us any trouble after that.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 29, 2009