I am very early in my pregnancy. Is it OK to paint our guest bedroom?

I have read various answers on this and I am sure going to ask my doctor beforehand, but I thought I would ask here. I plan on gettting the eco-friendly paint with little to no VOCs. We have just moved into our new home not too long ago and have new furniture coming and we wanted to paint a few rooms. I am a better painter than my DH and want to paint the guest bedroom and office/nursery to be, but do not want to if it is harmful. We have pro painters coming to do the living room and dining room, but I will not be here when they are painting, because they are large rooms and would probably have a lot of fumes. Haha sorry this is long!

tinalloyd

Asked by tinalloyd at 11:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't, even if because there is the slightest doubt. I would think, why take the least chance.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I painted the nursery with my last pregnancy (nesting stage) and just made sure I had fans going, windows open, and a mask on. I was fine. Just be careful not to get on any ladders or chairs to get higher up if you are showing yet.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Oh geeze, it's fine, go a head and paint it.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I personally wouldn't do it. Not worth the risk. Especially when you're in your first trimester!
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 11:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• They make paint safe for pregnant ladies! I've seen it on Trading Spaces :)
    Anonymous

• Use anything but an oil based paint. we painted 4 bdrms and 2 ba, 2 lvng rms, and the office, all in the last 30 days... I'm 37wks and fine. If you're concerned, call your dr. My OB said just to make sure it was ventilated and using a water-based latex paint...

We used ProMar 200 from Sherwin Williams...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• painting is fine just open all the windows in the room so it don't make you feel sick i painted my hole pregnancy with my older daughter working for my father doctors told me it was ok if you feel sick wear a mask and open up the room thats all
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 2:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You'll probably be fine. Just make sure that they open the windows in order to properly ventilate the area. I don't like paint fumes so I try to avoid them. If you're at all worried, give a call to your dr. S/he should be able to put your mind at ease.
    CallMeED

Answer by CallMeED at 5:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I say go ahead but open windows, turn on your air vents, and take frequent breaks just in case. Dont stay in the fumes for long periods of time without a break.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2009