How do you discipline an autistic toddler?!

My son has recently been diagnoised with autism and that definity explains the discipline issuees we've faced. Half the time he is off in his own world and doesn't pay a bit of attention to anything around him. He kind of knows what no means, but doesn't always obey. So what do I do after he doesn't listen to no a few times? With an average child you can put them in time out (my son just spaces out, so it's not too effective). So what do i do?! Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Figuring out how to discipline my son has always been a real challenge for me too. He is almost 3 and he has just now somewhat started to realize what NO means and listen to me when I say it. When I do say no I make sure and exaggerate my mad face and exaggerate my voice and make sure I have his face in my hands so he is looking at me. I exaggerate because he has such a hard time understanding emotions/faces. Then I explain why we don't do whatever he did in the simplest terms possible. That's about all I do to discipline USUALLY. If he gets really mad and tries to hit at me or pull my hair I hold his hands down firmly and tell him NO HIT! He gets that that is a punishment because if your kid is anything like mine he doesn't want to sit still for more than 2 seconds so he doesn't like his hands being held down even if it's only for a sec.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• That may actually work. Thanks!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2009