How to get an autistic toddler to sleep through the night??!

Help!!! It's been about 17 months since my ful nights sleep and I'm going crazy! How do I get my autistic son to sleep?! Are there any tricks or tips? Thanks so much!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• :( my brother is autistic and i remember him getting up every night . lol my mom always gave him benadryl before he went to sleep and the dr ok'ed it and that seemed to help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Hmm...thanks for the suggestion, but I don't want to have to give my son mediciation if I can help it. I've heard something about a wieghted blanket working sometimes. Does it really work?
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son Caz has optic dispasia (hope i spelled right) and they don't know if he is autistic or adhd- anyways he barely sleeps and the cure for that was some good ol' 100% chemical free melatonin- you would be suprised how well this stuff works- and if your not the type to give your child pills just do some research on it.... it's a natural chemical your brain releases and alot of times in cases like that the brain isn't releasing enough.... my son is 7 and i've been giving it to him for years and i actually take it myself and if my other kids won't go to bed sometimes i give it to them- you find it at walmart for a whopping 4 dollars
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 12:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I don't know about for sleeping...regarding the weighted blanket...but my middle son does well in a compression vest during the day if he's having a rough time. It helps him calm down and control himself. I know it's not the same as a weighted vest or blanket...but that's the experience I have...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Check out this article, Top Ten Tips to help your Child with Autism Sleep Through the Night

http://www.articlesbase.com/disabilities-articles/top-ten-tips-to-help-your-child-with-autism-sleep-through-the-night-838234.html

blanketlady

Answer by blanketlady at 11:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009