sex offender laws

do you think there needs to be some changes made??? such as an 18 yr old whos a sex offender because his girlfriend is 17 or the teens who get caught with the sexting??? i think its a little over the top because they arn't "real" or "dangerous" sex offenders.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• If an 18 year old has sex with a 14 year old, that's dangerous. And if a teen is "sexting" with a 30 year old, is that not dangerous? Sex is dangerous in itself, if your not ready for the responsibilities of it. I think an 18, or even a 17 year old who has sex with someone who's 13 or 14 should have to be registered, at least for awhile.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think the laws need to be more flexible not so black and white. In NY the age of consent is 17, there was a case a while ago in the paper where a 16 y.o got pregnant by her 18 y.o boyfriend and went to social services for medical. BY LAW social services had to let some dept. of law enforcement know and he was arrested and charged with statutory rape. Here's the kicker they lived with HER parents and shared a bedroom with HER parents permission! So now there is proof (the baby) that he committed a sexual offense and he will have to be a registered sex offender. It scares me as the mother of a teen boy also because my friends and I used to lie about our age all the time, I tell my son if he is thinking about messing around with a girl he better know for sure either check her ID or ask her parents how old she is.

As for the "sexting" I think soon  how that is dealt with will have to change, as it is now tee

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I definately think it should be noted that those people aren't dangerous! I don't think it's fair to list them with the child molesters and rapists. I think everyone that's on that list should have their offense posted so people can rest easier.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• There are different levels of sex offenses. Those levels show up on the offender websites, and in most cases what the charge was.

No, I don't think the laws need to be changed...except to include more severe penalties.

Anonymous

• Yes I think the "sex offender" laws are too crazy. They just label as sex offender and don't distinguish b/w SERIOUS offender, Rapists, child molesters, flashers etc. and those that we 18 and had a 16 year old girlfriend etc.etc.
    IMO, it needs to reworked, the exact convictions etc. stated and the "where you can live" laws adjusted accordenly.
    A sex offense is the only crime that you will NEVER live down -- it will affect where you can work, live, and even visit for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.
    In Miami (and a couple of other places in Fl), there is actually no where they can live b/c everywhere with the exceptions of I think a couple of blocks here and there is TOTALLY OFF LIMITS, so we have a whole TENT CITY of sex offendors.
    There needs to be a defined distinctions and better ways of handling this issue cause this seems tottally insame and more dangerous to me.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• A sex offense should follow you for the rest of your life.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I do think some of the laws need to be changed. Did you know that a group of middle schoolers are being charged with distribution of child porn for forwarding a pic of one of the kids gf? And the gf is being charged with child porn too? They may all have to register as sex offenders. IF they would have deleted the pic or turned it into the principal they wouldn't be in so much trouble. Is that fair that these kids lives will be ruined forever for a stupid mistake? It doesn't matter if the charge isn't severe on the offender list, they will have to tell colleges and employers, what kind of future do you think these kids will have? Also, you don't have to be actually charged to have a sex offense ruin your life, just a suspicion or accusation (even unfounded) can ruin a persons life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'd say the law needs to be a little more forgiving, such as a 18yo with at youngest a 16 yo, any thing else and I believe it's dangerous. On the same note I believe that those convicted of being a level 3 sexual offender should all be shot :-( sorry... I just don't see how a level three (the worse) should be allowed to roam free when under the definition of the level it states that they are likely to commit it again... idk STAT rape to me is very different... I'd say castrate the lot of sexual offenders (not stat rape unless its like a 16 yo with a 30 yo) Ok I can already hear people saying but they have rights... Yeah to me they gave up any rights they had when they commited their crime, why should my tax money pay for them to live on SSI because they are twisted, sick and just plain evil? Idk that's just MO Seriously tho, if the punishment was castration I bet there'd be less of the crime!
    Anonymous

• They need to be catorgorized a little better. This oh he was 18 she was 17 and she got mad and they field a complaint doesn't need to be in the same group as a 30yr old that was with a 9yr (happend at my work, I found out who he was and he was always talking to the girls daughters and I FLIPPED out, were going to fire me until I told them why) I know they level 1,2,3 but the don't need to be grouped together as sex offenders and to make it easier those sickos that are level 3 need to be shot and then we don't need to worry about them anymore and waste tax payers dollars. And I can say that openly, my Freshman teacher whom everyone LOVED, anyone with a prob would have went to him, found out after I grad. that he had been messing w/ his daughter (10) and her friends. I grew up with his younger brothers and sisters and knew his family. Anyone who does that has taking the life and innocence from a child and doesn't deserve to live
    BDAsmama

Answer by BDAsmama at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• yea i def agree 1st and 3rd degree csc people shouldnt be able to roam free in society.
    Anonymous