Is this sad? (the way our children think)

I was conversing with a little girl the other day. She was talking with her friend about the amount of hours in a day/month, etc. She asked me how many hours were in a year. I told her, "Well there are 24 hours in a day, and 365 days in a year. If you multiply the two you will have your answer!"

She said, "Ok, I'll google it when I get inside!" I responded, "That's a good idea! Or you could use a calculator!" She gave me a wierd look lol

I'm torn whether or not this is a good thing. I think Internet and Google are great things for research purposes. But when it comes to something one could find the answer for themselves (pen and paper best, calculator next best, google last) I think children should try to do so!

What do you think?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 11:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It is very sad. I definitely agree with you on this one...pen & paper first, then calculator, then google or some other resource. Our kids will never learn to think if they go straight to the internet for every answer.
    loonette694

Answer by loonette694 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• That is sad.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm on the fence on this. I agree with the sentiment that kids should learn how to do the work independently of Google, yet I'm happy that kids have resources like Google so they can enhance their knowledge of things they are interested in.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:50 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with you that pen and paper should of been her first choice but I'm happy that they are even having the discussion really. The conversations I usually hear between girls are about school, boys, music, myspace, etc. :)
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Google just gives an answer, and they never have to find out the skills to find that answer, so yeah I would be upset too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'd like for children to have a strong background in using pencil and paper to figure arithmetic problems. When I am recording an amount in my checkbook, I mentally do the subtracting and adding, but I have been around people who depend on a calculator.

Answer by Bmat at 12:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We could do math in our heads, us oldies. LOL. WHen I worked in retail,I could figure the cost of an item ,using a percntage -the sale price-and the customers were shocked. I mean, how hard is it to figure the sale price on sale for 30% off, for example. I think its way too easy in school now days. We had to do term papers with bibliographies and index,title page,typed ....in our sophomore year. ( but that was in the 1950's )Now I bet nobody knows what a theme or term paper or research paper IS! LOL. Kinda sad....
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I couldnt agree more it is sad that society is making it easier for kids not to learn what they need to. Case in point SOL's have become the main point of student learning in my area. Students are taught to pass the SOL.When you have a kid saying Ill google it rather than trying to work out a math problem its showing that someone has introduced this child to google, or else how would they know. When kids learn about things such as google and etc, they need to know that it is not just to use for their convenience when they need to LEARN how to do things.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 12:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My daughter doesn't know how to use google yet. She is allowed on the computer a half an hour to play games twice a week. I don't want her dependant on technology. We'll work on google, etc, when she starts doing reports for school.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It is sad.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 2:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009