How do You deal with tantrums in a public place?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on how bad the tantrum is and where I am. With all these "abuse" things going on it has made it hard to properly discipline children. In my personal opinion it does not help to have to wait until you get home to discipline because they dont understand later on why they are being disciplined. What I did with my kids was when they acted up in the store so bad that I could not control them, they would get a nice pinch on the arm but too others it looked as if I was taking their arm to walk. Not extremely hard but enough to let them know youre misbehaving and not about to get away with it. If you let them get away with tantrums in public places they will learn well as long as Im in public I can do what I want.As a matter of fact my granson pulled one in IHOP this morning and I popped him on the hand. Ofcourse everyone looked but he stopped acting up and throwing things!
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 12:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• As soon as it starts (an actual tantrum, not a sensory meltdown), I park their butts in timeout right then and there. Right in the middle of the store if need be. They go to a corner at home, they get parked on the floor in a store.

If in a restaurant, I have taken them outside and sat them on the sidewalk (so as not to ruin everyone's dinner).

Leaving the scene doesn't make them learn to behave. It teaches them that if they want to leave, throw a fit and they will get to go home.

Waiting until they are home doesn't work because (depending on the age) they're not going to have a clue what they did 1/2 hour ago.

I personally don't believe in giving in to their tantrums..I am the adult, I am in charge, not them.

But..that's what works for us.

After the first couple of times, I've not actually had to put them in timeout at the store...just threaten them if they didn't straighten up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i have taken dd to the restroom for timeouts... or distract her, shes 2 so if she starts acting up i can just ask her what color her shirt is, ect... i think she can sense DH nervousness about her acting up because if we go shoping together & I walk away for a few minutes to find something, I can ussually hear her screaming just to hear herself..... Poor Hubby. hes a great dad just doesnt know how to handle it in public lol.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We take her out of where ever we are...give her a talk and time out. We, like ticcledblue don't like to ruin other people's dinner so we take her where we have her away from everyone else. It works for us and she always comes back within 5 minutes and is better behaving.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My husband and I bring snacks along with us and sometimes that will calm him down or we hand him a toy to play with untill we leave. Of course he throws a fit when we take it from him at the end but theres times that we will actually buy it for him as well. This might not be the propper way to handle things but it gets us by in the store and thats what counts.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Well, for me it depends on where it is. I will usually take him to the bathroom, or the car(again depending on the place) and just tell him we arent going back in till he calms down. After he's calm I sit him on my lap, and tell him it's not polite to scream and make a scene. Then I ask him if he's ready to go back (shopping, or eating, or whatever) and then if he says yes. Then I'll just say okay, and take him back in. It took me about three or four times out, and doing this, till it worked. But no need to be embarassed while it's going on, people know that young children have tantrums. If it was a six year old, that would be a different story. =] Good luck momma =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I live in a small town but I would spank them then and there! They won't know what your getting on to them for if you wait til you get home!
    rebelmom2008

Answer by rebelmom2008 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I tell McKinzie that her attitude is unacceptable and that if it continues then she will be going to bed for a nap (or if it's at night an early bedtime) If she continues to act up I ignore it, then when we get home I send her to bed. I only had to do this twice, now when I tell her that her attitude is unacceptable she gets wide eyed and says "I don't want to go to bed" I think you can use any method you want, but you have to follow through. AVOID AT ALL COST EMPTY THREATS! Make sure that if you make a threat you can follow through with it. For example don't threaten to leave them at the store, because of course you'd never do that. Plan your actions ahead of time and either act right away (spanking, time out, loss of toy) or if you make a threat and they don't straighten up, follow through (no desert, early bedtime, etc) When you follow through you can remind them why, they'll get it eventually.

McKinzies_Mom

Answer by McKinzies_Mom at 11:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I WORN MY DD ONCE AND WHEN IT HAPPENS AGAIN OR CONTINUES I COUNT TO 3 AND GIVE HER A LIL SWAT ON THE BUT AND TELL HER TO SAY SHE'S SORRY AND GIVE ME A KISS ,I ALSO EXPLAIN TO HER WHAT SHE DID WRONG! WORKS EVERTIME!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009