scared 3 year old

i have a three year old and im thinking about putting him in head start in august. my problem is that he screams and hollers when i try to put in daycare of anything... i explain to him that ill be back. i even tried staying with him the first day and the second day keep checking in on him for he'll know im coming back... do you have any ideas how to make this easier when he starts school in august... he'll be 4 in october

mwatson7603

Asked by mwatson7603 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi Mwatson. I am a mother of a three year old, and I have also been a daycare provider for almost 6 years. In my opinion, it is a little harder when they are 4 years old to detach them from you. Has your child consistently been in a daycare since he was a baby? Or was he in and out of daycare? Well either way, the thing that you have to remember is to be consistent. Mommy has to go to work, and you have got to stay here and learn. You can not show your child that you are anxious or worried, because he will pick up that from you. So it is very important to give a little snuggle, and get going... in plain terms. Chances are if he is anything like the children I watch, he will be over it before you are out of the parking lot. But as i don't know your child's temperment I can't say for sure. Maybe give him something to hold on to all day to remind him of you. Or go to your local library and get some books about school. GOOD LUCK!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 3:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• if you can keep him home, do. If I could go back and spend the time with my child instead of part time daycare while I finished school, I'd take the time with my child in a heartbeat!!!
    You don't get these years back. He'll be fine when he's older in school, but right now he's still a little guy who needs his mum.
    Anonymous

• From my experience...we never had our daughter in daycare, only child, etc. We started to let her stay over at my mom's so she'd see we would come back.

But her first day of school (K) we made a big deal about making her lunch together (she would be going all day) we talked about the new friends she'll make etc.. all the stuff to make her really excited about going. We also went up to the school and met the teacher, where she would sit/put her stuff, walked around the school finding the cafeteria, library (that excited her most lol) where I would pick her up and the bathroom lol. I stayed for a bit that day till she got involved in something than quietly snuck out. when I picked her up I asked her all what she did that day and she showed me her "special folder" etc. It was good for her AND me lol.
    starlight1968

Answer by starlight1968 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I also work with 3-5 year olds in the public school system and agree that if you stop at the doorway of the classroom, give a hug and kiss, and go. The more you linger, the harder it is and the more he will think that he can't do it. Sometimes a transition object from home helps, a book of pictures of family. I had a student once that cryed and got upset enough to throw up for one whole week, but by the second week, she was fine. Maybe you could "practice" at home. Pretend to go to school and do drop off with him or let him pretend with stuffed animals, make up a bedtime story about a "little boy" who was afraid to leave his mom and have him help make up the story, adding the part about what the "little boy was afraid of." Of course, make the story end with the boy loving school and being happy. Also, a good book to read to him is the "Kissing Hand". You give him a kiss on his hand when you go to keep, tight all day!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Fill his need for you now, otherwise it will bite you in the butt later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Mar. 31, 2009