Waiting to breastfeed after alcohol question.

I know that the general rule is to wait 1-2 hours after drinking an alcoholic beverage to resume breastfeeding, so that the alcohol has been metabolized and is out of your breast milk. My question is...if you drink, for instance, 5 drinks in a couple of hours time, do you wait 5 hours from your last drink or 5 hours from when you started drinking to breastfeed again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• like add an hour for every drink you had. If you had one at 4, and you last one at 9 then you would still need to wait a good 2-3 hours, see what I mean? Maybe 3 hours after the last one. At least.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My FIL who is a doc, and my OB (lol, who is not my FIL) both told me to wait until i no longer feel the effects of the alcohol, that there really isn't a set time because everyone metabolizes it differently.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with waiting until you no longer feel the buzz. It's generally ok to have 1-2 drinks, and after that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink. Not sure how you time it though.. I think from the time you finish.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• 2-3 hours. remember though, beer stimulates the milk glands and will help produce more milk. this doesn't mean to over due. enjoying a couple of drinks will be ok but always wait. best thing to do is pump before you drink. this way you will have a bottle handy while waiting for the alcohol to leave.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 1:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If you have to go through all of this maybe its best for you and especially your baby that you do not drink any alcohol. Better safe than sorry. Everybody's body is different on how they absorb or get rid of waste or things of that nature. What if you breastfeed your baby and it effects her. If you wanna go out just pump some breast milk store it and after you finish drink just pump and dump. Come on this is your baby we are talking about here.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I didnt. In fact, I was pretty drunk and still nursed my LO. She is fine! I disagree with the whole pump n dump thing.
    Anonymous

• Pump and dump is not necessary. Remove the milk from your body while intoxicated, and the milk that is produced in its place will also have some alcohol in it. The only thing that rids your milk of alcohol is time. Pumping and dumping is a waste of time, energy and milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• wow
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2009