How do I get my cat to stop destroying our mini-blinds?

He likes to sit in the window and often bends the slats in the process. The blinds end up looking like crap. It drives my husband crazy! They're fairly inexpensive but I don't want to replace them every other week. Have you had this problem? How did you deal with it?

zorrokat

Asked by zorrokat at 12:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pets

• I guess my kitty has figured out how to tear them up she is gentle with my blinds but I also know htat the sell ledges with carpet on them for the cats.....open your blinds alittle to let the sun in and ur cat will sitt on it instead
    CookieMama

Answer by CookieMama at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I know this sounds like I'm giving in to the cat, but it works for me. I see that he sits in a particular window, so I leave that blind open just enough for him to be comfortable.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes, we had this problem with our cat several years ago. She has since been put down, when she was 15 yrs old. I ended up taking them down and replacing them with drapes and curtains. She wasn't destructive with those.

We have since gotten a dog. He can't climb up on the windows. LOL
    Ginny19

Answer by Ginny19 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• evertime you catch her make a noise to startle her of a quick spray of water.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Well if you have the money, change the blinds to the vertical blinds. We have these in our livingroom windows and they are great. My cats jump up onto the window sill and never mess them up. But we have miniblinds in our other rooms, and they ruin all of those by bending them when they get into the window. I can leave the blinds up during the day but at night they have to be closed and they get ruined anyway. I just can't switch to vertical in the other rooms since we live in military housing and can't make many permanent changes to the house.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Water in a spray bottle works for teaching cats no-no's. Only takes a couple of times. Tell her NO in a stern voice when you spray her. I would open her FAVORITE window blind during daylight hours. She's probably just wanting to see out.
    katydid1955

Answer by katydid1955 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I just put the blinds up enough for my cats to peek out the window.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 6:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Keep them up half way or get the wooden or wooden look ones. They are heavier and the cat can't bend them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I hit myne wit the flyswatter, squirt her wit water. .or catch her and cage her up for an hour or so.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies! These are some good ideas. We have one of those cat sitter things like CookieMama mentioned. Zorro loved it at our old house but we moved a few months ago and forgot to put it up. I'll dig it out for him and just raise the blinds halfway during the day.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 10:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009