Hi , I have a different question ,,,I have a 4 yr old grandson that has loved to hump pillows since he was a baby ,,this is probably a comforting thing like a baby blanket but we are not sure about how to handle it ,,,any ideas ?

i'm new at this so bear with me :]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have worked in daycare for years and have seen many children do this, especially at naptime for comfort. Most of the time they just grow out of it. A few, if it becomes inappropriate (as they get older) we tell them (along with the backing of the parents) that is something that we do not do in front of others. It is more appropriate in the bathroom or in your bedroom.
    Anonymous

• dont worry...its just a thing....he will grow out of it and more than likely..he doesnt even realize what he is doing cause its became a habit...LOL. sleep well....oh and video it so u can blackmail hin later on in life when he stops coming by cause he thinks its not cool anymore...
    MOMOF2AWESOME1

Answer by MOMOF2AWESOME1 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think that unless you are the primary care of the child you should not do anything other than suggesting to the parent to talk with the pediatrician about it. If the parent is not concerned, neither should you. If the parents have trusted you to do something about it I will ask for suggestions to the pediatrics's office. What I know is that you should never make a big deal about it, never punishing or scolding the child for doing it as it is a normal part of exploration in their development and redirect the child's attention to a more socially acceptable suiting behavior.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2009