hotdog? ham and turkey?!

So rumor has it from a website I came across when googling (I don't normally believe what I read on the internet) that hotdogs and lunchmeat are unhealthy and should be avoided when pregnant?! My mom thinks the hotdogs could be harmful because of the amount of sodium. I've tried veggie dogs but it's just not the same. Please tell me this is crazy and I can have a coney again! :)

mommyin08of09

Asked by mommyin08of09 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They DO recommend you stay away from processed meats i.e. bologna, hot dogs, etc. But, they also say fresh meats such as ham and turkey from the deli are ok.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have eaten it all and have two healthy boys.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You can have hotdogs and lunch meat, but you should heat them until they are steaming before you eat them. I know one of the problems is the possibilities of them being contaminated with the listeria bacteria which can cause miscarriage/stillborn. Same thing with soft cheeses and non-pasteurized products.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 1:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• ur fine! i think its crazy some of the things people say u cant eat while preggo- i mean yeah u should avoid raw foods and so on but as long as u cook the hot dogs and lunch meat it should kill any bacteria on it (but to tell u the truth im 24 weeks preggo and as i type im demolishing my cold turkey and cheese hoagie! lol!) ive had all this stuff during pregnancy and my 3 boys are perfectly healthy! just be careful though with the hot dogs and lunch meat like bologna that have lots of salt- but eat up! enjoy urself!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• They recommend that you heat all lunch meat and hot dogs before eating them while you are pregnant. There is listeria bacteria in them, and it increases your risk of listeriosis, when you are pregnant.

I can tell you that I have eaten lunch meat through out both of my previous pregnancies and have had healthy babies. With my 3rd pregnancy I have eaten lunch meat and am having a very healhty pregnancy again.
    Just eat them in moderation, or cook them first.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• processed meats are bad for everyone. there was a news report though that said processed meats were causing cancer in children.
    Anonymous

• i think it is bull i ate subway and hotdogs threw my first pregnancy its all i wanted and my son was and still is just fine and healthy , i eat subway now and once and a while a hotdog from 711 and this baby is just fine . i swear leave it to everyone else and soon pregnant women will be on preapproved freeze dried meals . all those "tests" they do are on rats. do you know how much you would have to do to have the same affect as it did on a rat ? and yes it is rats who ever would think they would test things on a pregnant women is nuts .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My doc said that hotdogs are okay if they are steaming and I have had a few. I've also eaten several deli meat sandwiches....I love roast beef! My dr said that most meat in the US is very safe so not to be too worried about it.
    CallMeED

Answer by CallMeED at 4:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009