How to restart lactation?

My ten week old son was just in the hospital for a week with RSV. During that time we almost lost him and he stopped eating and had to have an ng tube for feeding. Due to stress (I believe) I am seriously drying up. How can I increase my milk production before it's comletely gone? I have gone from pumping 20 oz four times a day to pumping about 6 oz four times a day. I REALLY want to keep nursing please help.

AMmarie20

Asked by AMmarie20 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dr. told me to pump every 2 hours. It worked for me...The more you pump the more you will produce. Your body will think that the baby needs that extra.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 1:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would call your doctor. He can give you some ideas
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have heard that there are several herbal supplements that you can take to increase your milk supply. I would contact the lactation consultant at the hospital that you delivered in, they will be able to guide you in the right direction.
    I have also heard that pumping every 2 hours helps to build your supply.
    Best of luck, I am happy that your baby is home now and healthy.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I've heard that you can take hormones to restart. I know a woman who is adopting an infant and starting on hormones so that she can breastfeed her new son. In your case, pumping might be enough to do the trick.

I'm so sorry your little one is going through this! There is nothing more terrifying and more vulnerable that not being able to make him feel better immediately. I hope that your son feels better soon and makes a full recovery! My thoughts are with you!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My milk supply also started to disappear at one time but drinking lots of water did help
    jt2

Answer by jt2 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Pump every 2 ounces during the day and at least once during the night. When you get your supply back up you will probably be able to cut back to fewer pumping sessions again.
    Any time you can spend with your baby, ski to skin against your bare chest (nursing or not) will also help to increase supply.

Is baby home now? If you can, spend the whole day in bed with your baby with your shirt off and him in only a diaper. Let him sleep on your chest and encourage him to nurse really frequently.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009