How can I break my 21 month old from the bottle without the screaming?

Staciesmom62707

Asked by Staciesmom62707 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I honestly don't think that there will be any way to get around the screaming. You just need to take it and not give it back. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I don't think that it is possible any more to take it away with out the screaming. My children gave up their bottles before the age of 1 and it was still a little trying sometimes.
    I would try to encourage the cup more often, maybe offer them juice only in a cup. That should help them get used to it a little easier.
    Best of luck!
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• by the time aiden was 11 mths old we had gone down to one bottle in the morning and one at night when he turned 1 we were down to just one at night a week after his b-day he was done give him the cup more often and put bottles out of site thats what worked for me if he didn;t see it he didn't want it good luck
    aidensmom570

Answer by aidensmom570 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I had my daughters binki away from her when she was 5 months and her bottle away from her at 9 months. i just gave her a cup to play with and she loved it. she always tried to drink out of it so it was really easy for us. but my niece was really hard. she was over 2 and still had hers. now when she was at other houses she would use a cup and when she was home they would give her a bottle. when she went home after staying at my house for the weekend they told her that they gave carleigh (my daughter) the bottles cause she needs them and she said ok and never used one again. so try soemthing like that. it might work. good luck.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 2:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I must have had it real easy. I gave my grandson a sippee cup in his Easter basket when he was 6 months old just to have when he was ready. As soon as he saw it he wanted it to his mouth and he has been using one every since.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 3:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Hi staceys mom... i agree with everybody. you are going to have to be able to deal with the screaming. It is just part of the job. Take the bottle away and offer the sippy cup or even an open cup in the kitchen. You could make a special treasure chest out of cardboard and tell your child that the pirates babies need the bottles now, and pack them up. And Never bring them back. Its something fun for the child, and good for you. You need to know that after probably a week your child will be over it... so you just have to be able to deal with one rough week, and it should get better. I hope that my answer will help you!! Good LUCK!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 3:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would try nuby sippys.. they are very similar in texture to a baby bottle nipple. My DD loved them and was off the bottle from that day on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Very interesting, purpleducky...I always wondered where the push for getting rid of bottles by age one came from...

Why is it that moms are encouraged to breast feed their children until they are two years old (or older), but bottle-fed babies need to be weaned by age one year?

The same goes with pacifiers.

I don't mean to steer away from the original question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009