How did you take the bottle away?

My son just turned 1 yesturday and I'm trying to decide how and when to get him off the bottle. He's able to drink through sippy cups, sippy cups with straws, and even regular cups with help, but he LOVES his bottle. Its hard to get him to sleep without giving him his bottle. So what did you do and how did your child take it?

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 2:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• right when my daughter turned one i just put them all in a bag and that was it my daughter never really cared for them though she loves her sippy cup ever since 7 mths.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 2:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• At a year we just packed them all up and put them in a box. She never really cared that she was getting a sippy not a bottle.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 3:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If he's able to use a sippy cup and straws, he doesn't NEED the bottle. Just get rid of the bottle and stop giving it to him.
    Anonymous

• I know its hard, but you may have a rough couple of days that he will fight to sleep, but soon he will forget about the bottle and give in.....
    Pack them away to where he cant see them, out of sight out of mind....it may be rough, but it is better than giving hima bottle forver.....
    You can do it and so can he.....Best of luck to you both......I would love to know how this goes for you.
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 4:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would start to change your habits regarding when and where he gets a bottle. Instead of going cold turkey and just getting rid of them, maybe take out one bottle feeding a day and change it to a sippy, then upping it to two bottles a day to a sippy. Or try to get him to drink his milk all day with a sippy and just a bottle at night for awhile. I'm all about easing into things, not just taking something away because they're a certain age. They don't know they're not "supposed" to have a bottle anymore :)
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2009