My 2 1/2 YO DD has a UTI... Help!

I think my 2 1/2 YO daughter has a UTI, in fact I'm sure of it. It hurts when she goes potty. So bad she doesn't want to go at all and we have to force her to sit on the potty and go. She cries because it hurts so bad. We have no health insurance and cannot afford to take her to a doctor so I'm wondering what I can do at home to get rid of it. Please help. This bad economy has hit us hard and no my child is suffering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her some cranberry juice take her to the doc. Then go over wiping skills, when I was little I got them all the time and it was because I was wiping back to front and getting poop up my urethra. But she needs a prescription its a cost your going to have to eat. Now look up online the info for your state about medicaid Utah has a thing called CHIP (childrens health inssurance program) look into it. and i pray for your daughter to get better
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think that she needs to be seen by a doctor. I would want to use home remedies on a child. The worst you could do is take her to the ER and get billed for it later.
    Anonymous

• **Wouldn't want to***
    Anonymous

• Ok, I do light medical billing in the course of my job and see that A LOT of kids get UTIs. You have a couple of options. Take her to an urgent care clinic and pay out of pocket, will be about $100 plus whatever the prescription costs. You can also go to the ER and have her seen, and you may be able to retro the costs to state aid. In CA you can retro a bill 90 days. Also, maybe you could either put the doctor costs on a credit card? Or borrow some money from a friend? An ER visit is a lot more expensive than just taking her to an urgent care clinic.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would take her to the Dr and deal with the bill later. My dd had to be hospitalized with a severe UTI so she could go on IV antibiotics.

BUT, with that being said, a TON of plain Cranberry juice can flush her system. Dont give her anything but cranberry juice. No mixture like crangrape or anthing.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Please don't try to flush her system-you could potential mess up her electrolytes and make her sicker.
    Anonymous

• UTI's can be flushed out by cranberry juice and water, it does not mess up your system. Women do it all the time. Because she is so young I would be sure to give her pedialyte as well because of flushing her system. If cranberry juice and water is all she drinks all day you will see a difference by the next day. If shes been drinking alot of juices and things with sugar this is probably whats wrong. I wouldnt sacrifice the chance that something else may be involved however. Shes a little too young not to take to the doctor. I would go to the ER and once the bill comes apply for the hospitals charity because you have no insurance.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 3:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• No-don't attempt to flush a childs system. You could make her really sick very quick. A child's body and a woman's body are very different.

It wouldn't take much to cause her fluid issues. Please take her to see a doctor.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree that it is probably a very very bad idea to try to fix this yourself. A UTI is an INFECTION, and it needs to be seen by a doctor. I know it's hard when you have no money or insurance, but an ER will bill you and work out payments. They can't refuse treatment. And really, isn't your child's health and well-being worth it? I thought so.
    JudesMomma

Answer by JudesMomma at 4:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Thank you all for your help and for not bashing or being rude. I appreciate it more than words can say. I am taking her to the ER as soon as she wakes up from her much needed nap. I'll let you all know how things go here in an answer. :) wish us luck and pray for us
    Anonymous