Are anxiety problems hereditary?

Both my boyfriend and I suffer from anxiety, we can control it for the most part and we don't freak out in front of our son. But lately I've been noticing a lot of signs that he might have anxiety problems as well...he's 3 1/2 and I don't know if it's a normal thing for that age or if anxiety runs in the family.

Domzmom2005

Asked by Domzmom2005 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• My child has anxiety also...I don't know if it is 'genetic' or not, but we have learned to cope with it.

We explore ways of helping him manage the anxiety..We created a 'safe zone/quiet place'...deep breathing exercises, Trampoline exercises and vitamin supplements with B vitamins!

Teaching him practical ways of dealing with the anxiety...will help him greatly in the future!

There are many ways to help him. Don't despair...and don't blame yourself. It is treatable...He will be ok. You may wish to discuss other options with his physician/ Take care!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I believe it is hereditary because it runs in my family.
    youngmom3525

Answer by youngmom3525 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• yes
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009