Life in a religous cult

I saw a special of T.V. the other day and I saw something that has been eating me up. A woman in a religous cult was told by their "prophet" that God said to take her 9 month old son off of solid food and go back to strictly breast milk. Her son starved for 51 days before he died and they buried him in the woods. They said her nipples were scabbed from the baby trying to survive on her blood...Her milk had dried up after a couple of days because she got pregnant. The part that just shocked me was that she didn't go to prison she wasnt charged at all. Only owed the state money. The reasoning they said was because she was brain washed...I understand to an extent but the mother instinct in me would NOT let my child starve even if that ment sacrificing myself. (they beat her because she tried to give him water) I don't know I just cant see how a mother could do that...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• WOW, I hadnt heard of that one. That poor baby!!!

I get sick of the excuses, everyones got one. How about you commited a crime, you are sick, you go to JAIL.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Just a way for satan to discredit God.
    Anonymous

• i dont get it either- theyd have to kill me first
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I know that is what makes christians look so bad...Nothing evil like that would come from God.
    Anonymous

• He allows it to happen.
    Anonymous

• That was not christian period... but a major religious cult. sickening but sadly many people are in bondage. she was in bondage and under fear. I know I have been part of a spiritually abusive church and it was fear that kept us where we were. It wasn't until our eyes were opened that I became free. My husband is still under the condemnation of it all and walked away from God completely but I chose to remain in His Grace
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• From what you have said, I think the guy that put her up to this and brainwashed her should be shot. I think she should be punished too, but I don't know how much freedom she had to help her baby. You said when she tried to give the baby water she was beaten. So what opportunities did she have to save her child? If any? The state probably knows more about what was happening than we do, and I don't have an article to go by to really make a judgment either way. But from the question you asked this is JMO.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• That is so sad for the child...
    I have not seen the news article on it, but just so sad...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Who said her milk dried up because she was pregnant?? I know plenty of mommys who BF while pregnant, and then tandem BF when the baby is born. Our bodies are wonderfully made...we make as much milk as is needed. Sounds like this story might be false (but its not like things like this don't happen).
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• How do you people know the situation well enough to know whether she should go to jail...or whether she was able to produce beastmilk or not???? Why are we not pissed at the CULT LEADERS???
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009