ive always heard you are supposed to add a degree to the temperature if you take it under the arm pit

is this true?? like if you do it under the arm pit and its 99 degrees you are supposed to add a degree and its really 100 degrees because its done under the arm pit. is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• yes
    so if you take it under the arm and it is 101 it is really 102
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• yes. My son was in the hospital in feb. and when they took it under the arm they always added a degree
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• yes..it is true... also.... If you take a temperature rectally....subtract one degree.

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have never ever heard this or learned this....
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Nor have I ever done it in a hospital setting or at home
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• "yes..it is true... also.... If you take a temperature rectally....subtract one degree."

THIS IS NOT TRUE......IT IS ACTUALLY THE TRU TEMP IF ITS DONE RECTALLY. I am a Nurses Aide and it is my job to do vitals. Axallay(arm pit) +2 degees , Oral ( mouth) +1 degree Rectal(butt) perfect temp. I have done this daily for 7 yrs. and was tested at state boards to get licence.

dita

Answer by dita at 4:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• dita, this is the first I've heard of it being that way. I always take it axilary (armpit), and I always added a degree, not two. When I've spoken to other nurses and ER people, they have always agreed that that's the way it's supposed to be done.

I'll have to check with my cousin, an RN, about this, and I'll repost with her reply.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My cousin said to add one degree to armpit. Sorry dita, but she's been an RN since the 70's...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

Well-they certainly aren't teaching it this way anymore-I wonder if there is a difference in thermometers that cause this?
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• 70's........2000's........HMMMMMMM
    dita

Answer by dita at 10:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2009