How do you teach a 2 yr old to blow his nose?

Does your LO know how to blow his or her nose yet? Mine doesn't (he's 2). He'll either just wipe or blow from his mouth. It was cute for a while, but it's annoying when he actually has a runny nose. How do you teach a kid that? I try to tell him to breathe out hard. I've had him feel when I breathe out, so he can tell air is coming out. He just doesn't get it. Any suggestions?

loli_usn17

Asked by loli_usn17 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Axl doesn't actually blow his nose. He also blows with his mouth. But, if his nose is runny we give him a tissue and he wipes it clean. I think he just learned by watching us. Sorry, not much help.
    jandyrodax

Answer by jandyrodax at 3:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I don't know...but when you find out...let me know!!!! PLEASE. Our DD wipes her nose on her own but she just doesn't get the blowing your nose thing. No matter how we explain it.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 3:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My grandson is 18 months and we did not realize that he knew how to blow his nose. Apparently his mom use to play with him making faces by scrunching up her face and breathing hard and he would do it. By watching others blow their noses one day while making the face he grabbed a wet wipe and blew into it. Although the wet wipe was covering his mouth and not his nose he still grasped the concept of nose blowing.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 3:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think it's something he knows how to do but chooses not to do it. Good question. I would not pay too much attention to it he will do it when older by three they should be blowing their own noses etc. He will want to eventually.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I just got McKinzie to blow her nose for the first time today by threatening her with a hospital trip. She came to me this morning and asked me to get the rock out of her nose. She apparently found a gravel sized rock on the floor somewhere (don't ask me where, I just vacuumed this morning) and stuck it all the way up.  I kept telling her to blow her nose to no avail.  I finally got dressed and started getting her dressed, I told her if she couldn't blow her nose that we'd have to go to the hospital for them to get the rock out.  Low and behold my little girl suddenly figured out how to blow her nose!  This is not a recomended method, but it worked for her lol.

McKinzies_Mom

Answer by McKinzies_Mom at 11:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• First, you don't want him to breath out hard through his nose when he's plugged up. That may push the muck into his ears.

When he is well, rip up some tissue paper and have fun blowing it across a table without using your mouth. He'll catch on.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009