Tooth ache after root canal?

I had a root canal Friday (we're Sunday) and the pain is worst than it ever was. I went in for 2 crowns end of Jan. Dentist did shaving of teeth + temp. crown. No pain with temp. 4 weeks later, went back for permanent crown. 2 days after, perm. crown chipped. Unable to chew on the crown side. Went back to have it removed 1½ week later. Was told I needed root canal. Temp. crown and no pain. I go in for the root canal hoping since the nerves will be gone, I won't feel anyting anymore. but that is not the case. Last night, while sleeping, twice the pain woke me up because I was biting so hard.
I don't knwo what to think anymore or what to do. Do I call my dentist, who is working on the crowns or the endodontist who worked on the root canal. I have a 3 yr old I cannot take with me at the dentist nor do I have a sitter who can watch him. Anybody else has dealt with something similar? Please tell me what you think! I'm going nuts!

sauterelledesil

Asked by sauterelledesil at 4:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• sounds liek a dry socket, which is when the clotted blood in hole comes out and dry air is trapped. Its very painfula dn call dentist. he can at least get you some painmeds...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My husband is an endodontist-- I just had him read your question and he said that you need to contact your endodontist. Biting sensitivity is normal after a root canal and it will get better- but the tooth may be in hyperocclusion (the bite may be too high from the temporary filling). I actually just had my hubby do a root canal on my back molar a few weeks ago and went through this same scenario. He ended up having to shave a bit off of the temporary filling the day after the root canal.
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 4:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It sounds like you bite might be too high on you temp. That can cause a lot of pain even after a root canal.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• what the posters above me said. Once you get your permanent crown, the pain will subside. Take some motrin, put some ice on, call your dentist/endodontist and see if they can give you something stronger.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009