What's the best way to introduce 2 big dogs and an old cat to a new baby?

We have a 5 year old lab, 4 year old husky mix, and a 13 year old cat. We're having our first baby in 22 days. All are well behaved around other babies and children. Just looking for ideas to ease the transition.

CallMeED

Asked by CallMeED at 4:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pets

• allow them into the nursery now, while you are in the hospital have hubby take home ANYTHING the baby wears. We went through a ton of outfits and blankies just so hubby had a ton of stuff to allow the dogs to smell so that DD's scent wasnt brand new to them when we got home. I was in for 3 days after delivery cause i needed a c section and by the time we all came home the dogs recognized DD's smell and barely even bothered wiht her except the welcome home kisses on her little feet! good luck
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with the first post. My labor and birth was very fast. I didn'y even have time with my 1st son to put on one of those sexy hospital gowns they give you ; D ...so right after my son was born they put him on my t-shirt I was wearing. My husband took that shirt home the next day and let our 2 cats and a dog smell it and 'check it out'.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• When we had our daughter, we also had 2 big dogs. They were outside dogs, but we spent a lot of time outside. We just let them smell her and lick her hands/feet whenever we were outside. We also had cats. The cats actually  worried me more than the dogs just because they were indoors, and they were not declawed. We took a blanket she had used and put it down for the cats to sleep on so they got used to the smell and then we would let them sniff at her, but no pawing. If they got too playful we would put them in a different room so they wouldn't scratch her while they were playing.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• That's exactly the way you do it. My dog is a German Keeshound (looks like a wooly wolf wearing glasses). We've used the babies clothes and blankets before the baby comes home, and give them to her. We pick up the article every now and then and hug on it and tell her, "It's our new baby". Kyra is a very protective dog of all her family (pack) members. When the baby comes home she licks them to pieces (loves thier tiny feet) and is protective of the child almost immediately.
    katydid1955

Answer by katydid1955 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• we have four dogs, all AMAZING animals great with kids, we did not do anything like the said though. We just brought baby home let them sniff and walk around in her room a couple times. They did fine.Good luck!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We did like the first reply -- not that many items; but I did send my fiance home with blankets and a onsie...I also blew puffs of baby powder/cornstarch in front of them to smell and get used to...

I suggest not letting the cat in the babies room only because it will want to sleep in the crib and then you'll have hair everywhere (at least mine did). To be honest other than wanting to sleep in their cribs or on their blankets my cats mostly avoided by girls...

I have a male and a female dog both over 50lbs and surprisingly the male was much more attentive while I was preg; he would lay next to me and put his head on my tummy etc...and yes when we came home I let them (one at a time) sniff the babies and lick their feet - and just reminded them to "do nice"...and yes they both knew pretty quick they were 'their' babies...and became very protective of me & them...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I didn't read through all the posts, so if I repeat anything sorry. I agree with those that said to bring something home that the baby wore and let them have a sniff. If there are any changes you are going to do when the baby comes home, start them now so they don't associate the changes with the baby. For instance if you don't want the animals in the nursery when you aren't in there, put up a dog/baby gate now. (I only have dogs so I have no advice about the cat). If you regularly walk your dogs, start walking them with the stroller to get them used to it. Maybe start with just around the block. When you come home from the hospital have your husband or someone else bring in the baby after you. You go in first and let the dogs greet you because they will be really excited to see you after your absence and you don't want them hurting the baby. (My dogs have a big case of what we call Excessive Greeting Disorder) GL.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I can't think of any advice you haven't received. All of the above are recommended and very good ideas. Precautions might be to watch for allergic reaction (which we pray does not happen) and to never leave the baby alone with a new animal to the child, no matter how much we trust them. Good luck, I pray all will go well.
    Grammyoo3

Answer by Grammyoo3 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• while I was in the hospital, my DH took home the blankets that DD was swaddled in when she was born and put them in the dogs beds....I think it helped. the cats will adjust. Mine did.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Our dog was really excited to see me, like I'd been gone forever! I just let her sniff the baby, she licked him, and laid down. But we did notice that she got real protective of him. She would go lay in front of his crib, or in front of his baby swing if he was in it. If he started fussing she would come find us and stare at us or bark at us. She didn't want him to cry at all. She was great!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 12:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2009