Abilify Medicine.. has your Child had a Dystonic Reaction to it

My 5 yrold son was recently put on "Abilify" medicine to help counter balance his ADHD Medicine. Friday I was called to the school. My son was havine Seizure like episodes. Once I got to the school Ifound my son in a state almost as if he was "mental retarted" his head and eyes fell to the side, his body was stiff and he could not walk, tongue was swollen so much he was about choking. So I called the doctors and they said bring him down. Well come to find out it was a Dystonic Reaction. My son has had 9 epidsodes in 2 days but has came out of it. Question is.. if your child went through this did your child return back to normal or is their life long side effects. Oh and my son is still complaining he cant see every now and then but has not had a episode in 24 hrs. Im little beside myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh my mom, I would be beside myself too. I am no Dr. but I would say that it would take a day or two for the meds to get out of his system completely. Once they are out he shouldnt have any effects. But thats just my random knowledge. sorry he is having problems. sounds scarey!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• they wanted my son on that med also but i couldnt afford it and Im glad. Ive heard rough stuff about that. It shoud be out of his system in 24-48 hours. They opted to put my son on clonadine instead. They had him take adderol in the morning and the other at night and It seems to be helping. There are so many meds out there unfortunately its all trial and error. Make sure they hear your concerns about long term effects. good luck
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 31, 2009