DD sick, what would you do?

My dd has been throwing up and having diarrhea since about 5 this morning. I called the Dr and they gave me the same ole spill about fluids ect. and phoned me in some suppositories.

The suppositories have made her sleep of course, but now she is throwing up in her sleep. I am worried about her choking. Is that possible?

Should she still be throwing up if she is sleeping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• How old is your dd?
    Sounds like a stomach virus. Does she have a fever?
    What I discovered when we had the stomach bug (7 weeks ago) - was that my kids needed sugar.
    Mine are 5, 4 & 3 yrs old. We thought we were keeping them hydrated enough, but we were using the wrong things.
    If your dd is around the same age - give her Pedialyte and sugar water. We had to give my kids 1 tbs of this mixture every 10 minutes until the vomiting stopped.
    Then - do not give her any solid food for 12, and then follow the BART (or BRAT) diet.
    If you need more info on what you can give for this age range - feel free to PM me. I can send you the list from my dr. It was amazing how well it worked.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 5:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree 100% with the previous post, and just wanted to add that if you are worried about her choking from vomiting while she is sleeping, there are a few things you can do.

1. Make sure she sleeps on her side, put big pillows behind her back to keep her on her side

2. Elevate the head of her bed a bit so that she's not lying flat.

These should help. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think if she is that sick she should probably go to the doctor. Most antinausea meds don't make you tired... so she might be be lethargic from dehydration.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Suppositories? Aren't those to help you poo? LOL!

Anyways, dehydration is the thing you need to worry about the most right now. If she gets a fever, keep it down. Give her as much to drink as she can. If she doesn't want to drink, try seeing if she'll have some jell-o or popsicles. You could even make your own gatorade popsicles in your freezer. Try to keep her lying on her side if possible that way she isn't choking. Avoid food for awhile until she has stopped throwing up. Then try little bits at a time to be sure it won't irritate her stomach.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with others. Last time my son had this same problem I ended up taking him to the emergency room and they gave him a antinausea medication that is not a suppository called Zofran. He never threw up again after 4 days of it. The diarrhea kept going but I would definately ask about that but definately avoid dehydration, I recommend gatorade it kept my son hydrate even with all the vomitting and diarrhea. Pedialyte is way to expensive and it taste gross so my son wont even drink it and it has the same amount of fluids and electrolytes that your child needs as gatorade. Good luck!
    caitlin.tolcher

Answer by caitlin.tolcher at 3:51 PM on Mar. 31, 2009