What's the dumbest thing a doctor has ever said to you?

I have dealt with some IDIOTS and could easily write a book on this. Anyone else? I have hydrocephalus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocephalus, dx'ed in early infancy, and have spent my entire life educating medical professionals about it. One actually said to me (when I was in my 20s and had endured six surgeries for it) that I was MISTAKEN; I actually had to have something else. Yeah...I had brain surgery for fun! It just goes to show that even doctors can be world-class stupid.

LIZARD66

Asked by LIZARD66 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• I had one tell me that if I didn't give my kids their MMR vaccine on time that they would die of menigitis and it would be all my fault!
    I looked him straight in the eye and told him that if he didn't know that the MMR doesn't have anything to do with meningitis that I didn't need his advice on keeping my kids healthy and that I wouldn't be back!

Dumb Ass Doctor!!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I went to the doctor for depression and severe anxiety when I first started getting panic attacks, and my primary doctor sat down and said "What do you want me to do? They don't make a magic pill for that." Well needless to say, I immediately got a new doctor who prescribed me some klonopin and an antidepressant and sent me to a therapist. Which to me, the klonopin was like a magic pill lol because it stopped the anxiety pretty much right away til I could get control of it through therapy. But yeah that's about the dumbest thing I have ever been told.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son was around 10. Broke his arm. It made a very soft "s" shape. I took him to the hospital. After the x-rays and all, the doctor came and said, "Yep, it is definitely broken." I was speechless--any idiot could tell it was broken--it was just wonder the bone wasn't through the skin!!!!!
    Then when above same son was older, wrecked his motorcycle and was taken to the hospital. (I was out of town.) I got the hospital bill with a cast room charge on it. I called the hospital to ask why and she asked me if I was sure he hadn't had a cast put on!! I think I would have noticed something like that!!!! ( DH had taken him in for his head!!! )
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I had a doctor's office pretty much refuse to see my son and daughter because I was paying cash. I had been separated from my husband and was paying for all this out of pocket without his help. I was more than willing to pay the $150 EACH for their physicals and shots but they cancelled my appointment and told me of places to find cheaper alternatives. I'm all for saving money but the fact that they refused to see us because we were paying cash up front pissed me off. I took my DD to a walgreens clinic for her physical for $25 and both got their shots free at the health department. I haven't been back to that office.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 11:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I took my dd in for a reaction to a rocephin shot she had a fever and the injection shot (her thigh) was swelled 3x bigger then the one without the injection I rushed her back to the dr and he said that she didnt have a fever (it was 101.3) and that her leg wasnt swollen . The nurse was stunned that he told me that and we were sent home well a little after I got to my in-laws to get an dh and go home her temp spiked and she had a febrial seizure and was admitted to the hospital. Needless to say when I saw that same dr my mom had to hold me back from going over and ripping his ass. When she was at the first hospital before being transferred to the big one they said her temp was so high that if I would have waited just minutes later she would have died and dd has never seen that dr again its in her file that the only way she can see him its life or death but hell I wouldnt even trust him then
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I had a doctor tell me he couldn't tell me if anyone did anything right or did anything wrong when I had my youngest son. WTH do you mean you can't say if something is right or wrong?

Also, my son's pedi told me to have my 2.5 year old son who isn't potty trained (no where near potty trained) to pee in a cup. WTH?!?! He can't do that.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2009