What do you think??

Ok I had my baby girl Jan 19th and my new years resolution was to succsefully breastfeed her because I couldnt with my other 3 kids... Well i did it and I am doing it and its going very very well, I am so happy and I love it I feel its created a bond between her and I that I didnt get with my other 3 kids!! Anyway my issue is is that I really want to loose weight and I have to eat ALOT and i mean ALOT to make enough milk for her and even my DR said im just one of those women who it takes alot to make a milk supply...So what would you do would you put your baby on formula and start eating less and working out? i tired this before while feeding her and almost dried up, I really do not want to stop but i really wanna start getting in shape!! What would you do and would you continue to feed your baby and put your body on hold for awhile longer or would you put you first and put your baby on formula?? no bashing please

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would keep up a healthy food intake or even increase it a little bit and do some toning workouts. You will look tighter and toned but still have the calories to make your milk. i dont BF but it makes sense to me. If you start to try up then you need to make a choice BF or FF but you may not be able to lose weight and still feed.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would continue to breastfeed... you can loose weight breastfeeding. And then just start eating healthier and going on walks and stuff... but not "working out".
    Drink more water to help increase milk supply.
    When you are done breastfeeding her you can start working out... but give it more time. You said yourself you are doing well with it and both enjoy it, why give up now??
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would wait breast milk is best. You have the next 18 years to workout and lose the weight you want to lose, try working out anyways, you are eating healthy.
    Anonymous

• I eat healthy and drink tons and tons of water
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would not wean to lose weight. Weight watchers has a plan for breastfeeding moms, and you don't need to wean to work out. Congrats on putting your baby first so far, and I encourage you to continue to do so.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with previous posts... but why is it not ok to work out? Is it because of your milk supply, or is it supposed to be for all nursing moms? I'm nursing a 7 month old and am about to run a half marathon on Saturday. I consume what feels like a million calories, but I'm maintaining my milk supply... my weight's stayed about the same, but I'm a lot more in shape and feel good.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It is my understanding that you do not need to eat a lot in order to have a lot of milk, unless you are near starvation. I found this related information from THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003, pg. 436: "Research from developing countries and other parts of the world indicates that even mothers who are mildly malnourished produce an adequate supply of good quality milk for their babies and only under famine or near famine conditions will a mother's nutrition affect her milk supply or the composition of her milk."

The composition of human milk is very similar all over the world, even comparing wealthy and impoverished women. The body will use what it needs first to make the milk and what is left will go to the mother. If mother is not eating enough of something it will take what it needs from the mother's reserves.

Cut back calories a little and exercise in moderation to start with. Good Luck!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009