Menu Planning

Do you menu plan? If so, what is on your menu?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes, I make sure each mean is as balanced as possible. Dinner is the biggest planed meal. The rest are no brainers.

I usually have beef, fish or seafood, chicken, and pork in my menue each week. I know this sounds expensive, but I buy the meat when it is on sale. Once a month a store not too far from my home has a 10lb meat sale. I will spend about $70 for a month on meat. For my money i get about 50-60lbs. Each week I buy fresh produce. But before I buy, I deside what we are eating and when. I get the rest of our grocieries at our local cheap food store. My grociery bill for us is about $300 for two people a month. When my daughter is in town about $400... She is a picky eater and I dont let her eat just anything... I cook from scratch as much as possible. Make my own breads.

For example, meatloaf, steamed veggetables, real mashed potatoes(peal on)/gravey, dinner rolls, fruit salad, and milk or tea to drink.
    CandiCane76

Answer by CandiCane76 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• no, I don't "plan" We buy frozen veggies, fresh fruit and salad ingredients, and whatever meat is on sale. I then play a game where I try to make meals as varied as possible. We eat vegetarian two nights a week at least. I buy a 3-4 lb. package of meat, and that lasts for a week. Our grocery bill is 400 a month for four, not bad considering we eat at least 25 lbs of fresh fruit a week!

I just don't buy a lot of junk. I'm excited for summer, when I won't have to purchase fresh veggies anymore. The garden fairy comes every year.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I plan for the most part. We usually eat a lot of the same things week to week though because we have our favorites. Once a month we will have a roast (either pork or beef), once a month we have a roast chicken, once a week or so we make homemade burritos with ground turkey, we have a pasta dish two or three times a month, chicken pot pie and shepherds pies a few times a month, we grill chicken a few times a month and serve with grilled veggies, red beans and rice every couple of weeks and chili too. The planning helps me keep grocery bills down because I can estimate how much each item is going to cost, and also let me know how much of each item to buy. Say if I am planning on making red beans and rice and chili within a few days of each other, I will buy a bulk can of red kidney beans and just refrigerate half since i use red kidney beans for both chili and beans and rice. It really helps me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Here's ours for the week:
    Monday - chicken taco salad
    Tuesday - pork chops, rice, green beans, salad
    Wednesday - homemade pizza
    Thursday - lasagna
    Friday - going out, son is going to a birthday party
    Saturday - beef stew (in the crock pot)
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I sat down and made a list of all the meals that I could think of that my family likes. I have a list of over 50 meals and I have a pretty good idea of what the meals cost to make. When it's time to go shopping, I go through my freezers, fridge and pantry and list ingredients that I have on hand. Then I'll sit down and see what I already have to make meals from. If I need an ingredient or two, I'll scan the sales ads and see if those things are on sale anywhere. If not, and the ingredients are expensive otherwise, that meal will have to wait until the things come on sale. Once I have one or two (or more) weeks worth of menus and a shopping list made up, I'll be sure to post the menu list on the fridge so that I don't forget what I've planned.

I have 7 people in my family and we're usually entertaining more kids....I spend between $175 - $250/ month on groceries, including paper, personal care products, and pet food.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Here is a sample of my menu plan entrees for the past 3 weeks: Roast chicken x 2, lasagna, wet burritos, chicken and gravy over biscuits, ham & potato soup, chicken & rice casserole, Chicken fried steak, BBQ pork chops, taco soup, oven fried chicken, chicken alfredo, chicken & stuffing casserole, Cheesy broccoli soup, sloppy joes, meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken & dumplings, homemade pizza x 2, Ramen noodle casserole.....If I didn't have the ingredients, they were inexpensive or on sale. These menus cost me less than $85, including the fresh veggies and fruits.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009