Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Termination of rights-how long does it take?

I'm not looking to terminate anyone's rights, but I just read a poll comment that said that if a father has no contact with his child for 6 MONTHS that rights can be terminated! 6 months, seriously? In Indiana, they have to have had zero contact for 10 years. Meaning, if the guy drops a postcard in the mail ever 8 years or so...So I'm wondering what the rules are in other states.

Answer Question

Asked by AngieG. at 6:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 6 (138 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • 10 YEARS! That's crazy! I believe in NY it is 1 year no contact, atleast that's what family court told me.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • In Wisconsin it used to be 18 months, but that has been changed. I went to have my sons fathers rights terminated after longer than that and it was denied. The judge said because there was no one to adopt my son, he would lose right to inherit (father has NOTHING anyway), I wouldn't get child support so what would I do to replace that money. I laughed-he wasn't paying support at the time. I told the judge that my family would help me out and my son would never go without what he needed. The judge even denied it after the father stated he wanted his rights terminated. It is difficult to have rights terminated in Wisconsin.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • If you have soemone ready to adopt, it's easier to get rights terminated, but it's 10 yrs. otherwise. My sister was told that the court is unwilling to "bastardize" a child by terminating the rights of the father, whether he's involved or not.

    Answer by AngieG. at 8:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • Why would you want to terminate the father's rights, even if he doesn't see the child? You could still get child support from him, and some states make the non-custodial carry insurance. My DH has a "oops" baby and I wish the mother would take his rights away. She moved away to another state, he hasn't and doesn't see the child and has no desire to. But, he still has to pay her 342.00 a month, whether he sees the kid or not!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.