homeschooling

my son has a lot of issues. he used to be very violent and on new meds he has changed dramatically. however, in the new school he is in, it seems he is being ignored when he is telling teachers kids are pushing him around/or making fun of him. its getting to the point where im wondering wether to keep him in school. understand this, the world out there can be a hard one these days and with everything with my sons mental state and the sickness in the world today im scared hes going to go nuts within the school system.and honestly i feel its everywhere we turn, every school he is in. should i homeschool? he is in kindergarten, but understand he has already been hospitialized for his violent tendencies at age 5. he is 6 now and totally calmed on the meds but how far will the med take him if others keep pushing him around? i dunno should i homeschool?

stefirose22

Asked by stefirose22 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my sons' issues got SO much better when we took them out of the schoool and homeschooled them. I recommend it, esp if it is something you are willing to do. (I know not all mom are cut out for it).

I do also suggest some deschooling and unschooling in the beginning.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I am 100% for homeschooling.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 7:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have home schooled my four. Think it would be great. But do you know what is causing the behavior problems?

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 7:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I homeschooled, but not for your same reasons. My reason was I didn't see the need to send them out into the big world at such a tender, impressionable age. We joined a group of families (about 30 families) and did weekly activities as a group. They were very well socialized. They entered public school years later, ahead of their peers, son graduated college 18 months early with a GPA of 4.3. He is a Social Interactive Web Designer. Daughter left high school at 11th grade to enter college. She is a Lead Designer for special operations gear for the military. Homeschooling is a good thing. It's fun, you teach them alot of what schools can't teach them. The individual attention is important. They can be taught that they are their own best competition, day to day. If you're lacking in an area, there are many families or resources that you can get help from. You can show/give him discipline that he can't get in school.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would also try diet changes---get rid of the gluten, artificial colors, sweeteners, and such. "The Gluten Connection" is good on this topic. A friend of mine has 7 kids and has to deal with at least three of them being gluten sensitive and displaying a lot of anger at very young ages---even before age 2. I would check out every avenue--including diet.
    Also, as a former home educating mom-----we loved it and it worked well for us:-)
    Anonymous

• It can't hurt anything! If you try it and find that it doesn't work out for you guys, you can always place him back in school. It's not a permanent decision :) Check out some homeschool groups on CafeMom and also see if there are some in your area. Talk to other moms and get some support. If you decide to do it, don't let anyone else's negative comments drag you down because there WILL be people who disagree with it. Good luck!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I am a homeschooling advocate myself - if we had the money, I would home school my DD in a heartbeat.

I do have a couple of questions, though:

1) Has this issue been addressed with the school? Have you spoken to the teacher? The principal? The counselor? The superintendent?

2) Are you mentally and emotionally prepared for homeschooling? It will take a LOT of work on your part, and curriculum costs can sometimes be extreme. You also have to be prepared for the "neigh-sayers" that will come knocking on your door with a truant officer. Also, keep in mind that they suggest, after pulling your child from school, waiting at least one week per school year to prepare your child and get them out of the "public school mindset".

3) Have you spoken to a doctor or therapist regarding the issue? Is it possible there could be some other issues going on such as food allergies or a learning difference?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ( . . . cont.)

Homeschooling your child is not a decision to be taken lightly. Be certain that you have the support of your SO and family as well - they may not be as receptive and put unneeded strain on you - sabotaging your focus on the child.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• We started homeschooling for different reasons. We wanted our DD to be able to work at her own pace whether its faster in the subjects she is good and at and slower in the subjects she had difficulty. She also gets the subjects she loves that are not offered the entire school year at regular school (like science, geography, art, etc..) and as another poster said, if it doesn't work out, you can always place him back in school. I think homeschooling is more acceptable now and they have more resources then previously available. Many places also have alternative or charter schools and online charter schools, which is what our oldest does.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2009