What is the best thing for dry skin that cracks and bleeds?

My hands get really dry uring the winter months. My right hand is worse though and now it is to the point that it is not only cracking but bleeding too. Any thing you know of that helps?

OneChance

Asked by OneChance at 7:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• I found something that works!!! My husband gets that Gold Bond Lotion in the green bottle and I tried it and it works like a charm!!!!
    OneChance

Answer by OneChance at 5:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Yes, MaryKay night time extra emollient cream. Rub into your hands before bed. They have a hand treatment set that works great too. I use it on my dh because his hands get like yours.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 7:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Good old vasoline works for me
    jessglas09

Answer by jessglas09 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I use aveeno faithfully. My face will even get dry and crack and bleed. Aveeno works real well. Also, for the fingers, keep neosporin on the cracks and put bandaids on them.

Now this may seem silly but really lube up your hands with lotion and put socks on them before bed. The socks will cause your hands to stay warm and moist.

kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 7:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I work in a deli my hands get so bad i use bag balm and put gloves on before bed it works great. the mary kay work as well but its pricey
    Anonymous

• I've been using a cream that has glycerin in it. I bought it in a card shop: it comes in a jar. Until a few months ago I would have recommended for fingers that cracked and bled putting antiseptic ointment on it and a bandaid. In about three days the crack heals. But I've discovered Nu-skin - it is in the same aisle as bandaids and antiseptic ointment- dab a bit of that on and it covers the crack and wears off in a couple days. No messing with a bandaid, and you can wash your whole hand and not worry about getting a bandaid wet. If you wash your hands or dishes a lot, then you dab some more on. Speaking of dishes, wash them wearing gloves to protect your hands. Udder Balm is another ointment that is recommended to keep hands soft, and a friend said to use vaseline at night and wear socks over your hands. But I'm happy with the cream I use and the nu-skin for cracks.

Answer by Bmat at 7:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• the company i work for as a SAHM has a wonderful line of skin care products. Message me if you are interested
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 7:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Aquaphor

Also if you go to skincarerx.com they have lots of good stuff for skin health
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My mom has this problem and her doctor recommended Udderly smooth udder cream (available at drugstores for around $7...my mom uses the real thick stuff in the jar). I don't have severely dry skin, but it does get chapped and cracked...I use Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream (less than $5 at drugstores). It is really fast absorbing and after a week or so my hands are back to normal. I also use L'occitane hand cream which usually keeps the chapped skin at bay (it is about $25 at L'occitane stores and drugstore.com but a little goes a very long way).
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Bag Balm! It works wonders! i have the same problem with my hands and that's what I use- works great!
    lovetulips78

Answer by lovetulips78 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2009