Please help! I am trying to prove DH wrong and need a lot of responses : ) He doesn't believe me that its normal for the older sibling to "constantly" touch the baby's head.

I know that this is normal and the way my older son shows his affection towards his little brother. My husband just thinks it is annoying and keeps telling DS so stop doing it! I keep telling him that he loves his brother and just wants to touch him. I know that DS is sometimes too rough (not violent rough) and I am working on getting him to be softer. I want to show DH the responses to this question so he can see that most older siblings do this when they have a new baby around. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yep, my kids did. They always had to be up in the babys face, giving kisses, patting new baby on the head, etc. I think its normal.
    rebl_roze

Answer by rebl_roze at 7:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It's very normal They act like the baby is a good luck charm they also always want to help with it and hold it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes, most kids do this. Its normal. Since the baby usually is the focus of the adults in the room, its their way to be part of it all.

They just have to be taught to be gentle. Easier said than done. lol.

Also show older brother the babies toes and fingers. Show him the "baby grasp" . My son use to say "hers holding my finger" about his baby sister. Very cute.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We have a "only touch the baby's feet" rule. That applies to any baby.
    Anonymous

• Tell him it's normal. I had my twin boys when my oldest son was only 11 months. He was fasincated with their faces. Now the twins are 13 months and ODS is 2 years, other toddlers come up and "hug" or touch the twins heads all the time. It's no big deal to me, they're curious is all. And as long as they're being gentle, not touching eyes or mouths, then what's the harm? Tell DH that kids are fascinated by babies, after all they too were babies not too long ago. They're wondering how this thing works. They see people loving and kissing on the baby and want to mimic those actions.

Praise him with hugs and kisses when he's sweet and gentle. When he gets rough, don't freak out, that reaction may provoke more roughness. Instead simply tell him that baby brother likes sweet touches better and together you "sweet" touch the baby.

Ask DH if he'd rather DS be pinching the baby instead of touchign the head.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 8:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Its normal. The way I deal with it is instead of "don't touch" we have a only Feet rule for all babies *(for younger children) and a "torso" only for those siblings who are a little older or you know can handle it.
    love to kiss the belly!!!!!

NO HANDS and NO NECK or up

and CONSTANTLY reinforcing, reteaching Gentle, Soft touch
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i only have one child but my little brother who is 8 and all of my cousins kids who range from 2-9 do it they just want to toouch the baby and know they are safe and they want to be around her...they love her
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• As soon as I tought McKinzie not to poke the babies face... she instantly switched to rubbing the babies head. she is very gentile and comments on how soft the babies hair is. My pediatrician said that the more we let big sister interact with the baby the faster the baby will learn because she will want to mimic and play with her big sister. (older siblings are much funner and more interesting than parents.)  Tell your hubby relax!  If he's worried about the soft spot, google it for him, you will find that it takes much more than a childs probing fingers to hurt that soft spot.  (although you probably shouldn't let them poke at it all the time)  There is still a thick membrain and some fluid protecting the brain in that area.

McKinzies_Mom

Answer by McKinzies_Mom at 11:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• They are fascinated by the little buggers and can't keep their hands off of them. I had to tell my oldest not to love her sister to death

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 1:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My kids did it to the younger sibling. They still do it to my niece (who's 3 months old) and my kids are 17, 12 and 9....they didn't outgrow it.
    I don't know why but they love to "rub" the baby's head.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2009