WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

WE HAD MY 8 YO SD THIS LAST WEEK, WELL ON FRIDAY MY 17 YO BIL WANTED TO STAY THE NIGHT SO WE SAID OK. DH AND I WENT TO BED AROUND MIDNIGHT AND THEY WERE DOWNSTAIRS PLAYING WII. THE NEXT MORNING SD CAME IN AND WOKE ME UP AND SHOWED ME A KNOT AND BRUISE ON HER HEAD, FROM WHERE BIL THREW THE WII REMOTE AT HER BECAUSE SHE WOULD NOT BE QUIET. WELL I WAS VERY ANGRY DH WENT DOWN STAIRS TO HANDEL THE SITUATION. BIL DID NOT SEEM BOTHERED OR UPSET ABOUT IT AT ALL, NEVER SAID I AM SORRY, JUST I DIDN'T THROW IT THAT HARD. WELL DH TOOK SD HOME TODAY AND NOW HIS EX-WIFE IS VERY ANGRY AND IS SAYING WE CAN'T HAVE HER FOR THE SUMMER, AND SHE IS GOING TO PRESS CHARGES....WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd be siding with the ex-wife. Why is an 8 year old girl staying up until midnight playing with a teen boy? Sounds like poor judgement on your part.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• BECAUSE THAT IS HER UNCLE AND WE HAD JUST GOT HOME FROM A MOVIE.....TRUST ME I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT AT ALL.
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Don't feel bad, you weren't there to stop him. You and I both know he should of talked to you or your DH about her being quiet before he went and through the remote. I am not sure what I would do.
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 7:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Crappy answer! Ehh :|
    Its sort of "Deserved... " if you get what I'm saying?

Hope everything turns out okay.
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 7:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I guess I was speaking from experience...as the mother of the child, in the hands of the father/step-mother and her older kids.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Just try explaining to her what took place and admit it was poor judgement to allow an 8 year old to stay up with a 17 year old playing Wii. Apologize you and hubby and tell her it wont ever happen again to give you a second chance. I know it would suck to have to kiss her ass, but if you guys want to still have her over the summer. If you don't want to try to work it out with her than lawyer up and take it to court. It not like you and hubby gave her the bump on her head and the fact that the boy was a minor will help, and hopefully the judge will decide that the case is not to serious to take a fathers visitation away. You always take your chances with courts, trust me i've been there.
    Anonymous

• She was being obnoxious it sounds like, and he lacked the maturity to handle it and threw the remote at her. It's too bad that there is the age difference because it puts him very much in the wrong. I agree with you that you'd think they could have played together without somebody getting hurt, but now everyone knows that the brother-in-law reacts inappropriately and shouldn't be around younger children on his own. You could agree to not let them be alone again, the mother should receive this promise at least. Other than that, pressing charges seems extreme. Maybe some kind of counseling or anger management class for him.

Answer by Bmat at 8:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• sit him down and explain he needs to control himself
    not trying to down what bmat is saying but counseling
    would just piss your son off, i know from experience.

but stress to him if he doesn't control himself than you
    will take him to anger management .
    Anonymous