I've been getting offended lately...

In the last several days there have been multiple posts that say roughly "saying SO is just trying to make it sound a little less trashy that you're living with or have a child with someone you're not married to" or "Being able to call my "man" my "husband" makes me a lot more respectable."

I have two children and own a home with my SO who was my high school sweetheart. We aren't married, we may never get married...we aren't religious and we don't value it. We are both college educated, we are both in it for life, we both work very respectable jobs...etc...I hate to think that someone else thinks we are trashy for it.

So what are your thoughts?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• I say.....right on!
    Seriously. I have been married for 12 years and I love my husband with all my heart *but* primarily it was for his parents who are devout catholics. We were living in sin already though but somehow knowing we were getting married made it better.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I call mine, my babe, my man, my luv, my husband, I never say SO or DH, who cares what they think, you know what you got and he's your man!
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Your not trashy!

I'm 17 and been with my fiance since 2/08!
    We are even expecting!

People should SHUT IT with the criticism!
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 8:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I just feel like it isn't every girls goal to get married, to be a wife...and I certainly don't think signing a piece of paper is a life accomplishment.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I would not worry much over it...
    there are many whom think they are better than the other and will bash and critize and judge others... I would not give them a second thought...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• my personal pref would b to get married but if you are happy thats what is important
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• People are going to think what they want to think. You can change that. What matters is what you think.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 8:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I have been with my fiance for almost 7 years... we have been engaged for 5 of them... the engagement just seemed like the next logical step; but we have never even seriously talked about getting married, the most we ever say is "yeah we'll get to it one day I am sure" I do call him my husband because we are common-law and I don't like calling him my 'boyfriend' and when ever I say fiance people ask when we are getting married. It is not a low class or high class thing, it easier for me
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 8:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You've been here long enough to know not to take what they say to heart. I've seen you post responses before about your beliefs on that piece of paper and although I like the benefits that my piece of paper bring me, I don't think any less of you because you feel different than I do on any topic any of us have responded to on here. I don't think it makes you trashy, and you can call your man anything you want to as far as I'm concerned. My SIL has been with my BIL for over 30 years and they didn't stand in front of anyone and get a piece of paper, but they're as married as I am. My kids need not be told that they don't have that piece of paper, it's not important enough for me to point out and they're committed to one another. You're not trashy. Trashy people are the ones out there screwing everything they can get their legs wrapped around (or get to wrap their legs around them).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm in the same exact situation as Amelora. Been engaged forever, don't care too much about getting married (even though we're technically common-law married, bleh). We're committed and we know it. That's enough for us; screw everyone else. We lead a very happy life.
    Anonymous